Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: black screen after BIOS

Beans

black screen after BIOS

My computer goes black screen after BIOS runs and never gets to login menu. I dont think I can access the GRUB menu I did it once but it was frozen so I really don't know. I got a new graphics card to try and fix this but it did not help. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME! I have Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit and gtx 645. This happened after I messed with the drivers because the graphics card was acting weird so I tried to fix it by changing the driver. I am way over my head here and need help PLEASE HELP.
    Last edited by maxyman3400; January 2nd, 2015 at 09:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: black screen after BIOS

maxyman3400; Hello;

It is what you have not said that matters here,
    What card 'did' you have ? Did you purge the old driver ?
    Is there an old " /etc/X11/Xorg.conf " file at play here ?

Let's look and see what we can make of the situation. what returns from terminal commands:
    Code:
    sudo find / -name "NVIDIA-Linux-*"
    dpkg -l  | grep nvidia
    dpkg -l | grep fglrx
    ls -al /etc/X11/Xorg.conf
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    sudo lshw -C display
    Please use code tags for the outputs:
    code tag tutorial:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post12776168

A good place to start, then we see what there is to be done.

ain't nothing but a thing
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

As sad I cannot access the GRUB menu as sad and I could not purge the drivers because my old graphics card broke and had the same problem.

Also I have no idea what you mean by /etc/X11/Xorg.conf

Beans

As sad I cannot access the GRUB menu as sad and I could not purge the drivers because my old graphics card broke and had the same problem.

Also I have no idea what you mean by /etc/X11/Xorg.conf

Beans
    Distro

maxyman3400; Humm ...

Let us try and get you to at least the grub menu.

Boot the install and as soon as the bios screen clears, depress and hold the right -shift- key.

Do you now get the grub menu ?
    IF yes, we try and get you to a terminal.

which way did he go, George

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Post Re: black screen after BIOS

Hey ok got into the grub menu (had to switch out keyboards because for some reason my new one refuses to work in the grub menu)

here is some output
    (first and third command does nothing)
    http://m.imgur.com/nxfYZPz,QHIlmlb,k...vHCaaF,SgQ2RUw

Here you go

Beans
    Distro

maxyman3400; Ok,

A bit of progress. 1st:
    Hey ok got into the grub menu (had to switch out keyboards because for some reason my new one refuses to work in the grub menu)
    Likely that bios is not communicating to grub what the actual keyboard is in use.
    Try resetting USB settings in bios, and also insure that "plug and play" is enabled.

2nd: Graphics situation - Nvidia-prime installed ! Are we talking hybrid graphics here .. that do take special handling.

OK, let's get ya to a terminal:
    Boot to that grub boot menu, with the latest kernel with an asterisk on the left depress the 'e' key for edit mode -> boot options screen.
    In this boot options screen arrow down to the line similar " linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=UUID=217ed9a7-e11a-4e32-8c05-992e8c8932b6 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff "
    arrow across to the terms "quiet splash" and replace these terms with the term 'text' - without the quotes.
    Key combo ctl+x to continue the boot process to the TTY1 terminal.
    Login here with user name and password - there is no response to the screen at all when password is entered - security measure - enter the password blindly and hit the enter key.
    Now we need to know what we are dealing with.
    what results:
    Code:
    ls -al /etc/X11/Xorg.conf
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    sudo lshw -C display
    Maybe all we have here is a graphics driver issue ..

then
    ain't nothing but a thing

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Ok so after I change quite splash to text and control x it shows a bunch of lines of code and when it seems like it stops the entire screen turns black and at no point is there any input from me. I don't think its supposed to happen but if it is then tell me what to do from this point

Beans
    Distro

maxyman3400; Yuk;

Correct, It is not supposed to happen like that.
    Now I am beginning to wonder how much of this is graphics related. But, let's try:
    At the grub boot's boot parameter screen, instead of replacing "quiet splash" after these terms add the term "nomodeset" - with out the quotes; ctl+x to continue the boot process to the GUI login. Can you log in here ? - degraded graphics is OK at this point. IF you can get to the GUI we see what we can do about loading a graphics driver.

sometimes, not what I expect
    work with what we got

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Also I would just like to say that a couple of things that are happening now

Geting into the grub menu is so much harder than before for some reason and some times even when I did get it it then says loading grub but then nothing happens.

Also I have had to re-install Ubuntu several times for a variety of reason (probably all dating back to a windstorm that messed up an update and then there was a button called factory reset on the grub menu so I pressed that and then everything was messed up so I re-installed then this happened)

So once I do this the screen turns black then a green messed up flash appears in the middle of the bottom half of the screen then a thing that appears the be a loading screen with Ubuntu 14.04 and then 4 or 5 dots bellow it (I forgot the exact number) then the screen just turns black after that poping up for a couple of seconds.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast