Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: webalizer hasn't created logs in almost a year!

Beans

webalizer hasn't created logs in almost a year!

I am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server hosting three web sites. I rarely look at the webalizer stats, but I went to look at them the other day and I noticed that the logs were almost a year old. It seems webalizer hasn't updated it's logs since last May!

Is there any obvious reason that this might be?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: webalizer hasn't created logs in almost a year!

Out of storage? I don't know - what do the system logs say?
    What did the alarms say when they went off?
    How does the server monitoring normally work?
    Do the backups show any clear changes? How has the webalizer code and/or config changed in the last few years?
    Is any configuration management used?

Beans

I may have to start over with a fresh server. I have did have ispconfig installed, as well as awstats, but I have noticed that for some reason these are no longer installed. I am also noticing a LOT of activity on this server where there should be very little. Not sure what has happened, but I think I need to reinstall from scratch.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Servers get pwoned every day and unmonitored servers are pwoned for months and years. Just sayin.
    Going 12.04 or will you wait for 14.04?

Beans

Yeah.. I know...

I'll install 12.04 probably. What are good steps to take for security? Any good web pages I should read?

Beans
    Hidden!

A good place to start might be here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Servers get pwoned every day and unmonitored servers are pwoned for months and years. Just sayin.
    Going 12.04 or will you wait for 14.04?
    +1. I'd go with 12.04 to start and bump it up to 14.04 a month or two after release if I was doing it.

But yeah, definitely look into securing the box. I usually have logwatch running on all my *nix boxes and have it mailed to me so I can keep an eye on what is going on. I have CSF installed on my production servers as a sorta monitoring service as it checks binaries for changes via hashes and a ton of other stuff.

This is a good read too:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rebeltaz View Post
    Yeah.. I know...

I'll install 12.04 probably. What are good steps to take for security? Any good web pages I should read?
    Just published an article about my "First 5 Minutes on a New Server" ... http://blog.jdpfu.com/2014/02/28/1st...es-on-a-server. It has the minimal steps taken on every machine + links to other security pages if your needs are greater or you are running any internet-facing services.

Good, versioned, backups are rule #1 for securing a system.

Ubuntu has some good security pages, but the NSA, SANS, OWASP, Debian and Redhat all have good stuff. There are books on the subject too - "Real World Linux Security" by Bob Toxen (a LUG member) has the old-school stuff that still applies too, but any security book from O'Reilly is useful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    +1. I'd go with 12.04 to start and bump it up to 14.04 a month or two after release if I was doing it.

But yeah, definitely look into securing the box. I usually have logwatch running on all my *nix boxes and have it mailed to me so I can keep an eye on what is going on. I have CSF installed on my production servers as a sorta monitoring service as it checks binaries for changes via hashes and a ton of other stuff.

This is a good read too:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity
    I am pretty sure that the part I highlighted makes you my hero, sir.

I have been trying to figure out how to get Ubuntu server logs in a more digestible format, and the automatic e-mail is icing on the cake. Took me 30 minutes (with pre-testing in my virtual environment) to set up, and works great, very informative! Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Just published an article about my "First 5 Minutes on a New Server" ... http://blog.jdpfu.com/2014/02/28/1st...es-on-a-server. It has the minimal steps taken on every machine + links to other security pages if your needs are greater or you are running any internet-facing services.
    Good read, thanks. I've not used that type of software before, but I tend to fall back to the same "basic" base install scripts that I've been using for my servers that deal with getting postfix set up, ssh secured, logwatch installed, etc. I think I will have to look into ansible even if it's just to see what is possible with it.

Good, versioned, backups are rule #1 for securing a system.
    Yep, the best thing about versioned backups is you can roll back to before the box was owned so you don't have to worry about your code or applications being owned after wiping the box and reinstalling.

Quote Originally Posted by thufirhawat2 View Post
    I am pretty sure that the part I highlighted makes you my hero, sir.

I have been trying to figure out how to get Ubuntu server logs in a more digestible format, and the automatic e-mail is icing on the cake. Took me 30 minutes (with pre-testing in my virtual environment) to set up, and works great, very informative! Thank you!
    Welcome. It isn't really a "replacement" for keeping an eye on the regular logs and getting to know your system, but it helps identify potential problems in an easily digestible format.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast