Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Windows bad?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is Windows bad?

Corporations haven't 'evolved' to make money. That's why they exist in the first place. Profit is the lifeblood of the market because it is the way resources are, in the end, replenished and allocated. Any conceivable alternative must have an equivalent, which is sometimes forgotten. Even FOSS volunteers need to eat, and someone's buying that food.

So, corporations do what they think is in their best interests. So do consumers. Sometimes those interests coincide, sometimes they don't. Society is, after all, a collection of competing interests. Caveat emptor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's an operating system. How can an inanimate object (I want to see my Windows software walk over and close the door) be "good" or "bad"?
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    It's an operating system. How can an inanimate object (I want to see my Windows software walk over and close the door) be "good" or "bad"?
    But we can also choose animate objects in our lives.

Beans

the first step to answering this question is to define exactly , what is bad? in my opinion windows is bad. but for reasons of operability. when i want to install a program,
    i find it extremely irritating to be asked 20 fing times if i want to also install this or that tool bar or set my home page to this or that and so on. i want to install a specific
    tool and get on with it.

And if i am told i have to install this or that "extra" to get what i want i usually find another solution.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingwolf View Post
    the first step to answering this question is to define exactly , what is bad? in my opinion windows is bad. but for reasons of operability. when i want to install a program,
    i find it extremely irritating to be asked 20 fing times if i want to also install this or that tool bar or set my home page to this or that and so on. i want to install a specific
    tool and get on with it.

And if i am told i have to install this or that "extra" to get what i want i usually find another solution.
    I must be doing something wrong. I get asked once for the administrator's password and then things go on the usual way (where to install, select options, etc.).

Now, when the installer also tries to bundle in some crappy toolbar or something-or-other, that makes me irritated at the software provider, but Windows has nothing to do with that.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Now, when the installer also tries to bundle in some crappy toolbar or something-or-other, that makes me irritated at the software provider, but Windows has nothing to do with that.
    Wait, I thought you were just supposed to click on the "next" button until it went away.

Sidenote: Installers that do that annoy me, especially when they make it seem like you need to install the extra junk to install the program you want.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

The thousands of engineers world-wide usually do not have a say in what system they would like to use.
    • As a general rule, engineers do not like the Windows environment, I speak from experience.
    • Windows look and feel has gotten better, but it doesn't compare with high end hardware and software based on Unix.[/*]
    • And as the last poster pointed out, Microsoft's predatory practices such as insisting that OEM's bundle a half-functional Windows OS with hardware is offensive to one's intelligence - something that most engineers usually have a lot of.[/*]
    • Then taking control of your system to ram updates into it - even when you've opted to first review and then decide on your own if you want those crappy updates -- is criminal. [/*]

In ordinary daily life, this type of behavior is called "breaking and entering" and "trespassing". We as a society punish trespassers and burglars. Windows as a piece of s-ware is not morally bad, but Microsoft's practices are.

Beans

but Windows has nothing to do with that.
    i dont have that when i install in ubuntu or mint. nor do i have to reboot every time i install a piece of software.
    In fact i usually install multiple programs at one time.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by newbie2244 View Post
    The thousands of engineers world-wide usually do not have a say in what system they would like to use.
    • As a general rule, engineers do not like the Windows environment, I speak from experience.
    • Windows look and feel has gotten better, but it doesn't compare with high end hardware and software based on Unix.[/*]
    • And as the last poster pointed out, Microsoft's predatory practices such as insisting that OEM's bundle a half-functional Windows OS with hardware is offensive to one's intelligence - something that most engineers usually have a lot of.[/*]
    • Then taking control of your system to ram updates into it - even when you've opted to first review and then decide on your own if you want those crappy updates -- is criminal. [/*]

In ordinary daily life, this type of behavior is called "breaking and entering" and "trespassing". We as a society punish trespassers and burglars. Windows as a piece of s-ware is not morally bad, but Microsoft's practices are.
    Microsoft, Apple and Canonical are making software for consumers, not engineers. If engineers want "high end hardware and software" they should be shopping elsewhere.

I agree, also from experience, that engineers disdain Windows, for legitimate reasons and for cultural reasons. That's neither here nor there, though.

Frankly, I've never noticed that Windows "look and feel" is a sore point for the Windows users I know. It is what it is, which, for them, is the definition of what personal computing looks like.

Pre-installs are a great convenience for consumers. Few people have the interest or competence to install an OS.

Ditto updates. Few people have the competence, or the interest in acquiring the competence, to discern "good" updates from "bad" updates.

Many things about Microsoft and Windows that the FOSS community loves to rant about are either invisible to most consumers, don't matter to those consumers, or are seen as positive benefits. After 30 years of failed efforts to get people to use FOSS because it is FOSS, you'd think some lessons might have been learned. (Canonical has learned, and is bashed for it on a regular basis.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Many things about Microsoft and Windows that the FOSS community loves to rant about are either invisible to most consumers, don't matter to those consumers, or are seen as positive benefits. After 30 years of failed efforts to get people to use FOSS because it is FOSS, you'd think some lessons might have been learned. (Canonical has learned, and is bashed for it on a regular basis.)
    Funny how that works isn't it?
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast