Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Windows bad?

Beans

Re: Is Windows bad?

I just prefer not to use windows unless absolutely necessary. Bad? Depends on your opinion/situation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

In the 8 years that I have been part of this community I have seen tons of discussions along the lines of "XYZ OS is bad/good.."

It all boils down to your personal needs and which OS can best serve those needs.

Windows has a wide footprint in the market because it was able to capitalize on a long head start. But now other alternatives have come a very long way and are very viable alternatives.

Beans

In my staunchly open-source worldview, to willingly use Windows is sacrilege!
    Yes, it is bad, on so many levels!
    Would you care for me to list them all?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lorcastrand View Post
    In my staunchly open-source worldview, to willingly use Windows is sacrilege!
    Yes, it is bad, on so many levels!
    Would you care for me to list them all?
    Not really - I doubt if there's anything new.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by PartisanEntity View Post
    In the 8 years that I have been part of this community I have seen tons of discussions along the lines of "XYZ OS is bad/good.."

It all boils down to your personal needs and which OS can best serve those needs.

Windows has a wide footprint in the market because it was able to capitalize on a long head start. But now other alternatives have come a very long way and are very viable alternatives.
    ^ +1
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

JKyleOKC, very interesting what you say about criminalizing efforts too dig into DOS or other closed software. Now, after all that happenings with NSA and finding out that computer camera can be turn on without user knowledge.... It all making sense now for me.

Beans
    Distro

Bad is a very absolute term, and IMHO doesn't apply here at all, and it means different things to different people.

Many in the Linux community are open source zealots, and Windows is certainly not open source. While I prefer the open source community, my take these days is to simply use what works. For instance, I use closed source Nvidia drivers on my Linux Desktop, and I even have a virtualbox install with Windows 7 in it (as well as a bare metal Windows 7 dual boot) for when I need to run software that doesn't work natively. (I gave up on Wine... I could never get most software to work properly)

If we set the closed vs open source software development debate aside for a moment it really comes down to what works.

Linux distributions certainly tend to be more secure, stable and lighter weight than Windows machines are, and they have come a long way in useability - even to people who - unlike myself - don't have decades of computer geekery behind them as a hobby.

That being said, Windows has improved vastly since the bad old days. Memory protection becoming mainstream starting with XP was a huge leap forward for stability, and UAC introduced in Vista (and improved win Win 7 and 8) brought Unix-like user accounts and security to windows which was a huge leap security wise for Windows.

The biggest benefit Windows has is near universal software compatibility. This is a tough one to beat for the casual user. Any program you want, it probably runs on Windows. The same is far from being true for Linux.

Personally I am willing to put up with occasionally running something in a VM, or rebooting on the rare occasion I play a game, in exchange for better security, more stability and more flexibility, but there are a lot of people who aren't and I fully understand that, and don't belittle that point of view in the slightest.

The lucky part is that either choice you make, there are fewer drawbacks than there ever have been. Linux is more user friendly and has more software (or at least work-a-likes) than it ever has. Windows - today - is also more stable and secure than it ever has been. And dual booting is nowhere near as painful as it used to be before there were SSD's.

I - for one - am hoping Valve hits the ball out of the park with their new SteamOS, and it serves to expand the linux userbase dramatically, resulting in more software being written natively for (or at least ported to) Linux, as well as better vendor hardware support. All distributions should benefit from this.

In the meantime, I use Windows when I have to, but prefer my Mint 16 desktop install.

There is nothing BAD with either choice, they are just different choices for different needs.
    I only use LTS releases, and mostly for servers.

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: Is Windows bad? >>strange question

.........and wonderful opinions.
    Well Microsoft has finally dumped the bald ugly loudmouth.
    Originally MS/DOS seemed to turn in Windows and then WINDOWS 3 for Workgroups. Personaly, Iliked it.
    The programmeers or script kiddies in the next office had fun with it. But it was OK.
    MS got greedy and mean.
    From then on it produced crap.
    So maybe Windows is "BAD".
    But MS holds more Patents than any company that I am aware of. It spends as much on ads and promtion and FUD as GM.
    "MS Steve" Balmer may have strongly contibuted to The terrible reputation that Microsoft has worldwide.
    http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/i...05010107100653

It is my firm belief the Microsoft is headed for extinction. NOT because "Windows is Bad", but MS's attitude is the problem.
    Will everyone switch to Linux? Nope.
    Apple is following in MS's footsteps but not going down.
    Google is the e/player to watch.
    regards from Mazatlsn,
    Allen.
    Pay now, or pay later, there's no free lunch.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Is Windows bad? >>strange question

Quote Originally Posted by AllenGG View Post
    It is my firm belief the Microsoft is headed for extinction. NOT because "Windows is Bad", but MS's attitude is the problem.
    Will everyone switch to Linux? Nope.
    Apple is following in MS's footsteps but not going down.
    Google is the e/player to watch.
    regards from Mazatlsn,
    Allen.
    Microsoft is in trouble long term, but I think that has more to do with completely missing the boat on mobile, and Windows 8 being too little too late on the mobile front, and trying to shove a mobile type user interface down the throats of desktop users (but hey, isn't that what Ubuntu did with Unity? )

If they can save Windows 8, and better differentiate it so both mobile users and desktop users are happy, I think they have some long term viability. If they can't, they are done for. Not immediately. It won't be spectacular. As TS Eliot wrote in the Hollow Men: "Not with a bang but a whimper." A long, long drawn out whimper.

The problem is if Ms goes away, what will take it's place? Sure, most of us will use Desktop Linux, but I can't imagine that getting more than a small bump from an Ms demise. Chrome OS is a joke on the desktop, and OSX is poorly maintained from a security perspective, and closed to overpriced flashy hardware with soldered on RAM that can't be upgraded...

Desktop computing may not be growing like mobile near-computing is, but it will never go away completely, as there is just too much you can't do on a consumer near-computing electronic device, like an Android or iOS tablet or phone.

If Microsoft were to fail, maybe someone would step up and fill the void, but who knows who that would be at this point...
    I only use LTS releases, and mostly for servers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is Windows bad? >>strange question

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    Microsoft is in trouble long term, but I think that has more to do with completely missing the boat on mobile, and Windows 8 being too little too late on the mobile front, and trying to shove a mobile type user interface down the throats of desktop users (but hey, isn't that what Ubuntu did with Unity? )
    The problem with these type of predictions is that it assumes the group in question doesn't ever realize this or make adjustments and try to address them.

Microsoft is making changes and while they are in some trouble, I don't see them as disappearing completely. People whined about the "start menu" and so it is coming back with "Windows 9". Will it be enough to keep their position? Alone, that will not, but there are a lot of other factors they are likely working on and the combination of everything may mange to keep them near top, or at least competitive.

At most I see them drop in size and having to share the "king of ...." crown with some other companies (Google, Apple, Ubuntu Linux, Firefox and probably others...).

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    The problem is if Ms goes away, what will take it's place? Sure, most of us will use Desktop Linux, but I can't imagine that getting more than a small bump from an Ms demise. Chrome OS is a joke on the desktop, and OSX is poorly maintained from a security perspective, and closed to overpriced flashy hardware with soldered on RAM that can't be upgraded...
    Like I said, I don't think Microsoft will die fully, but may reduce their hold on the desktop market. Who will take their place (/marketshare)? As much as you don't like them, Chrome OS is actually rising to be the upstart to take a significant portion. While so many people poo-poo them computer manufacturers are planning and delivering Chrome OS devices (Chromebooks and Chromeboxes), while they are still offering Windows devices.

Ubuntu has the potential if they run their marketing and product placement right, but they are actually starting behind (like Microsoft is with mobile) so anything can happen. One benefit is that Ubuntu is working those markets outside of the USA, where Microsoft and Apple have less of a stranglehold. The other Linux distros don't have the same potential yet (on the desktop, subject to change without notice).

Apple's OS X is not Apple's focus anymore and to increase the market share too much would actually hurt their "elitism" some and change the nature of their customers. Apple's focus is on iOS, and less on OS X and their biggest competitor is Google Android, not Microsoft. So Microsoft's demise or reduction won't effect them too much (at this point)

Don't forget, too, that everybody is moving to cloud-services and in that front they are competitive and if they can leverage their existing Enterprise product status they could shift playing fields and become the (near) top dog again.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast