Thread: Netbook/speed increase ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans

Lightbulb Netbook/speed increase ubuntu 12.04 LTS

About 6 months or so ago I made my first foray into the world of Linux by successfully dual booting my older Acer Aspire One AOD270-1410 netbook with 1G RAM via Wubi... it worked but was slowwww.

Yesterday while playing around on the forums I decided to wipe/uninstall that incarnation - I now have a better dedicated laptop running 12.04 LTS and another Windows 7 laptop that truly dual boots 12.04 LTS, so I decided to try to do it right. I made a bootable USB stick and after making a new 75GB partition with Windoze software, I booted and "tried" Ubuntu with a 32bit version of 12.04 LTS. Then I told it to install alongside Windoze 7. At first the screen backlighting was very low and I could hardly read the screen.

I decided to do the updating and then see about the screen. After a couple hours of downloading on my slow wireless it finished and I rebooted. The screen worked and the speed was incredible in comparison. I nearly got whiplash!!

So far I have found NO problems, the little light netbook on Ubuntu runs circles around the pre-installed Win (lose) OS. New life TRULY.

scott
    Last edited by wn1ytw; March 11th, 2014 at 04:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Netbook/speed increase ubuntu 12.04 LTS

so what is your problem exactly ?
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

moved to ubuntu, linux and os chat
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

No problem. I had seen lots of errors previously about this netbook and also to use wubi installs. This was just to show it now works and doing it is easy/painless without wubi. The post was info only, not a question or help request. I did not think it was against forum policy. Please excuse.

Beans
    Hidden!

No Its not against forums policy. But you have posted it in a wrong area.

Actually we welcome Testimonials but here we do.
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

bump it up to 2GB of RAM and install ubuntu 64bit and it will be even faster.

Beans

I've had the RAM since I bought the netbook but it is too difficult for my shaky hands to take apart! Wish I'd realized how bad installing the RAM would be. I even read how to do it first but when I actually started I got as far as breaking 4 F key tops before I gave up!! (Due to MS my hands are very shaky - I used to be a technician too!! )

Beans

Good to hear that, I am under the impression that 1G of ram is not sufficient to run Unity smoothly.

Edited: Are you sure you are not running Unity 2d?