Thread: New CD/DVD burner does it matter

Beans

New CD/DVD burner does it matter

My CD/DVD burner is starting to go on me. It will recognize a disk sometimes, sometimes not.. It will boot into a live iso sometimes, sometimes not, the tray will pop back open after putting in a cd or DVD sometimes when it does recognize a known good disk it takes a long times to start spinning up, all tell tale signs signs that the drive is on its last leg. It wasn't expensive. I believe it was a Pioneer. This rig I don't want to throw more money into then I really have to , I plan I building a new one in the near future ubt want a working DVD player/burner in the mean time.

My motherboard is a SATA interface, but shopping for drives on my favorite website I notice none of them listing as supporting linux. Does it really matter if support for the drive is listed I can't remember, usually a brand name like Lite-On or Pioneer will suffice no? As long as it is a SATA interface?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: New CD/DVD burner does it matter

Newegg seems to have a lot of reviews and a filter that allows you to isolate just ones posted by linux and/or Ubuntu users. They were helpful to me when I was searching for a DVD writer four years ago.

Beans

Re: New CD/DVD burner does it matter

OK thanks I didn't know if I was able to mention newegg on here. Some message boards have rules about posting where you buy things. I'll filter it. and see what it comes up with...