Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is all my data really missing from Ubuntu One?

Beans

Is all my data really missing from Ubuntu One?

Hi,
    I don't currently have a Ubuntu distro installed because I have been working on a project that was simpler and cheaper to use Windows for the past year or so.
    I haven't tried to log in to Ubuntu One since at least as far back as August 2012, but now I find after installing Ubuntu One in Windows all my backup files seem to have disappeared?
    Is this in fact the case?
    I seem to recall the backups were made with something called Deja Dup. Has this now been merged into Ubuntu One? Sorry been out of the loop a while, hopelessly confused!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Is all my data really missing from Ubuntu One?!

Based on this:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/108869/how-...y-with-dj-dup/
    they have not been merged, but the default deja dup target is U1:
    > By default, Déjà Dup backs up your Home directory, ignoring the Trash and
    > Downloads folders. It puts the backup in your
    Ubuntu One account.

Beans

Hi marco-parillo,
    Thanks for you help. I see from the following (my underlining):

From the Storage pane, you can customize where Déjà Dup puts your backups. If you back up to Ubuntu One (and have set up Ubuntu One on your computer) your backup will be accessible from any computer, so you can easily restore your personal data on any Linux system. You can also back up to other types of remote servers, including FTP, SSH, WebDAV, and Windows shared folders.
    ...that I have to actually have a Ubuntu system installed in order to recover the folders. Is this correct? Because from Windows it appears my old backup, which I recovered the password for from my old email address, is completely empty.
    Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

It seems to indicate than you can also use Windows shared folders, but I am no Windows expert.

Beans

Hi again,
    I think I will have one last try to get my files back and install a dual boot Ubuntu distro on my desktop (only computer.)
    This is a last ditch desperate attempt because one of my back-ups has become corrupt (made around the time of the millenium, Y2K) and I have lost around 10,000 words of creative writing which is essential to my life which I thought was safely stored on a free hosting website which has closed and deleted all my data. Very very annoyed.

Beans

Hi, For some reason I couldn't log in to this forum under Mogbug ID so I had to create a new account.
    Anway my files seems to be downloading except there is some weird files which I don't recognise which I assume is data image thus:

/~/deja-dup/chris-System-Product-Name/duplicity-full.20111214T070532Z.vol161.difftar.gz ...downloading [Overall progress: 48%]

What is this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by CJ_Hudson View Post
    Hi, For some reason I couldn't log in to this forum under Mogbug ID so I had to create a new account.
    I see no reason in the MogBug account settings that would prevent you from logging into it. However, you have two Ubuntu One SSO accounts, each linked to one of the forum accounts. Perhaps that's where the confusion lies. If you need help unscrambling all this, please post in the Resolution Centre:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Please can anyone tell me what these files are that downloaded from my Ubuntu One backup: there are half a dozen like this:

/~/deja-dup/chris-System-Product-Name/duplicity-full.20111214T070532Z.vol161.difftar.gz

It seems much of my supposed back files are missing so I wondered if these were some compressed archives or some such? Or maybe complete system images? Thanks.

(Sorry about the delay I had issues signing in.)
    Last edited by CJ_Hudson; July 27th, 2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: removed email address

Beans

Hi again, sorry to multiple post but I am really desperate now.
    I have now re installed Ubuntu on my system.
    I got this message from Ubuntu staff:

This is the FINAL reminder to make sure you have retrieved all your data from Ubuntu One filesync, as we will be deleting all the content permanently on 31st July 2014. After that date, we will no longer be able to retrieve any of your files.

In order to make it easy for you to retrieve all of your content, we have released a new feature that lets you download all your content at once. Our website (https://one.ubuntu.com/) has been updated with instructions on how to conveniently download all your files.

In addition, you still can use Mover.io's offer to transfer your data to another cloud provider for free. The Ubuntu One web interface is available for you to download individual files as well.

All of us in the Ubuntu One team would like to thank you for your support over the years.

The Ubuntu One team
    I have followed the link and attemtped to recover my files but I would say at a rough guess 9/10ths of them are missing.
    I now have 2 clear days to try and retrieve my backup files.
    If there is anyone with the power or authority to help me recover the missing files I would be extremely grateful?
    There is a whole folder with mystery files in it (see attached screendump) which I don't know what they do or what they are for. As I said I have been out of the Ubuntu loop for a few years and would really appreciate some assistance in recovering my backups?

Last edited by CJ_Hudson; July 29th, 2014 at 10:14 PM. Reason: picture did not appear

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by CJ_Hudson View Post
    If there is anyone with the power or authority to help me recover the missing files I would be extremely grateful?
    Not here I'm afraid. All forum members, staff included, are volunteers. None of the forum staff are employed by Canonical and we are not involved with the administration of Ubuntu One cloud storage.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast