Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bootmgr missing, Boot-Repair did not work.

Beans

Re: Bootmgr missing, Boot-Repair did not work.

The computer does not have an CD/DVD reader, so it can boot from USB (thats how I installed the first OS) but it set to boot 1.USB 2.HDD. When I start the computer I get the "Press any key to boot with USB..." I press any key, it start to read the USB then I get "Botmgr is missing, press ctrl+alt+delete to restart.

I re-downloaded Lubuntu because that seems like the OS my computer can handle because Ubuntu uses allot more resources then Win XP does, and my computer used 100% CPU in idle (first time I tried it when I didn't get the message, I get the message now because I unisnstalled it because it use 100% CPU in idle). The Lubuntu .ISO I got now have the right value, but still get the "bootmgr is missing" when trying to boot with the USB and i prepared the USB with "unetbootin-windows-585".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You will not get bootmgr missing except from Hard Drive, so USB flash drive is not correctly configured.

Most find this works best
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
    If that does not work
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/
    Pendrive also has page on booting ISOs
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
    Common USB BIOS boot options
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-bios-boot-options/
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I have used the UNetbootin. The rest gave me same the same problem, "bootmgr missing".

But the problem only exist for Linux, I can boot with the recovery disk, other OS installation disk.

There is one thing I don't understand, why do I need an other OS installed to install Linux? First time I installed Ubuntu, the installation went fine, but after I uninstalled I got the bootmgr is missing error. So that tells me the Install is ether depended on something on the HHD or the USB don't work, but the USB does work because it went fine the first time, and I can get Win XP USB install to work just fine, so I'm I missing something or why can't the Linux OS install just from the USB alone?

No changes in the BIOS where done after the uninstallation, just deleted the Ubuntu install (this is the guide I was using to uninstall Ubuntu http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...t-environment/)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You don't need any other OS to use Ubuntu.
    You can completely wipe all prior data, if you like, and install any flavor. If you want to keep any of that data, back it up somewhere else. We've been trying to ensure that you DO NOT loss any data. If you don't want it, wipe the disk, repartition however you like and move forward.

So - use the flash drive with the installer, and tell it to "use the entire disk" - that should wipe everything and install Ubuntu.

Netbooks aren't "bad" - they have a purpose provided you understand the limitations. I have an old Asus Eee and just picked up a new chromebook last night. The Eee runs Ubuntu fine - I don't use the Unity GUI, preferring LXDE, which is much lighter.
    * CPU - N280 Atom
    * RAM - 2G
    * GPU - onboard Intel crap (no video extensions for MPEG, h.264 accel)

The Chromebook is too new - haven't wiped it to load Ubuntu yet. That is the plan for today. The CPU on it is about 15x faster - maybe more. It is faster than a Core 2 Duo desktop (Intel E6600) I had 4 yrs ago. Still only 2G of RAM, but that is more than enough. My main Ubuntu desktop only has 1.5G of RAM running inside a virtual machine on a Core2 Xtreme - so this chromebook should run about the same - VERY fast. Plus the video GPU is current generation - should handle playback of 1080p stuff easily. Just need to find a way to get 500G of storage connected to it. Currently only has 16G - which is next to useless - and it uses an ultra tiny SSD (m.2 form factor). I'll definitely be breaking the warranty on that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I thought you wanted to fix Windows.

The bootmgr error only comes from a Windows bootloader in the MBR trying to boot from a Windows partition that does not have bootmgr. That should be your hard drive.

So the issue still has to be be something with flash drive not being correctly configured or download of ISO was not correct. Or your system is very old and only 32 bit and you are trying to boot 64 bit.

Have you tried another download of Ubuntu and verified with md5sum?
    Have you tried another flash drive?
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

So somehow the computer decide to load the harddrive instead from the USB as I tell it too, I got that right? But I tried both Ubuntu and Lubuntu, and verified it with md5sum after I downloaded the .ISO file (Both was 32-bit).

The information of the computer I don't care about, and can be wiped clean, this is a computer I rarely use due to the low spec, and make it only useful for light surfing. I tried 2 different USB, and I can boot with USB on Win XP USB and Linux repair USB, but when I try to boot with USB to install Linux I get Bootmgr missing. I tried reinstall win XP but I still have the problem. There is nothing important saved on the computer. So both win XP and all information on the harddrive can be wiped.

So could I could change Ubunto to not use 100% CPU power in idle? what would I lose and what is the different from Lubuntu? I don't really know what Unity GUI, or LXDE is, but I'll look around and see if I find anything.

Edit:
    So I found out that the Unity, LXDE, GNOME and so on just are the "themes" for Ubuntu.

Edit2:
    Problem solved-ish by changing USB from NTSF to FAT32 format. Tho it doesn't help that the screen goes completely black when I try to install it. Crash and an long beep sound when I try to the "Try Lubuntu" random restarts and other random errors. The md5sum is right, and I tried multiple times. I will try Ubuntu again and see if I can install it or if I get the same errors I have now, even tho my computer is way to week to handle the Ubuntu OS (or the theme).

But I no longer get "bootmgr missing" error.

Edit3:
    Just to be 100% clear, my hard drive is completly empty and formated to ext4, if I try to boot with USB NTFS it tell me "Bootmgr missing" if I format USB to fat32 I get errors and unable to install Lubuntu or Ubuntu. So that means that I can't run Linux OS on my computer?
    Last edited by Frejoh466; March 13th, 2014 at 10:47 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12