Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Bootmgr missing, Boot-Repair did not work.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Beans
    9

    Bootmgr missing, Boot-Repair did not work.

    So I decided to try a Linux OS because people said it's better then XP, so I got my old computer and installed Ubuntu alongside with Win XP. It took roughly 1min to do anything, so Ubuntu did use allot more resurces then XP do, so I uninstalled, it and after a while I found that lubuntu would work better on older systems. So I tried again, but when I tried to boot it with the USB (used unetbootin-windows-585) it gave me Bootmgr missing.

    So I read around and found that windows repair should fix it, got the disk repaired the system. And now Windows XP wouldn't boot (just got a black screen with a mouse courser) so I installed a new Win XP to try and fix it, wasn't able to. So while the Win XP OS is completely trashed, I decided to try and at least get any Linux OS to work. But it always says the Bootmgr is missing.

    Then I tried Boot-Repair but that didn't help (if this is of any use paste.ubuntu.com/7061161).

    But after 10 hours of trying I feel like I'm not going to get anywhere without help, so anyone know how to fix this?
    Last edited by Frejoh466; March 9th, 2014 at 02:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Squidbilly-land
    Beans
    10,685
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Bootmgr missing, Boot-Repair did not work.

    First - welcome to the forums!

    I can't tell what went wrong, but having 2 USB drives connected when trying to fix this stuff might be the issue - it could be confusing boot-repair. Thanks for the boot-info output - EXTREMELY helpful.

    You didn't mention which version of Ubuntu you were trying to install. I'd suggest 12.04 for a few more months, then 14.04 when that becomes available. There will be an update method to go from 12.04 to 14.04 skipping all the intermediate, short-term-support releases.

    Also - avoid using WUBI installs. Newer systems have UEFI and that makes WUBI not workable anymore, hence it is discontinued after 12.04. I think that is the sort of installation you attempted when you say "along side of Windows." Obviously, we cannot be certain.


    Code:
    Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
    1      10.7GB  63.2GB  52.4GB  primary   ntfs         boot
    2      63.2GB  250GB   187GB   extended               lba
    5      63.2GB  250GB   187GB   logical   ntfs
    So - what I would suggest at this point is:
    * Setup a dual boot situation, to accomplish that
    * shrink sda5 by 15-20G - if it is just a data partition, this can be performed using an gparted.iso booted from a flash drive. unetbootin or yumi are easy ways to create a multi-boot flash drive. I prefer yumi.
    * While still booted in gparted, create 2 partitions inside the extended partition sda2 -
    ** a) 1G for swap - format it as "linux swap"
    ** b) whatever amount is left (14-19G) for the linux installation - format as ext4
    Note the names/numbers of the larger ext4 partition - this is where you want to install Ubuntu 12.04 - we can load lxde later to reduce the runtime resources. Probably sda6 or sda7.

    Linux systems can boot just fine from logical partitions.

    A little information about the system will be useful.
    * RAM amount
    * CPU model
    * GPU installed
    Thanks. This information will let us know what we are working with to make better choices.

    BTW, excellent first post! I will do what I can to help.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Beans
    9

    Re: Bootmgr missing, Boot-Repair did not work.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    First - welcome to the forums!

    I can't tell what went wrong, but having 2 USB drives connected when trying to fix this stuff might be the issue - it could be confusing boot-repair. Thanks for the boot-info output - EXTREMELY helpful.

    You didn't mention which version of Ubuntu you were trying to install. I'd suggest 12.04 for a few more months, then 14.04 when that becomes available. There will be an update method to go from 12.04 to 14.04 skipping all the intermediate, short-term-support releases.

    Also - avoid using WUBI installs. Newer systems have UEFI and that makes WUBI not workable anymore, hence it is discontinued after 12.04. I think that is the sort of installation you attempted when you say "along side of Windows." Obviously, we cannot be certain.


    Code:
    Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
    1      10.7GB  63.2GB  52.4GB  primary   ntfs         boot
    2      63.2GB  250GB   187GB   extended               lba
    5      63.2GB  250GB   187GB   logical   ntfs
    So - what I would suggest at this point is:
    * Setup a dual boot situation, to accomplish that
    * shrink sda5 by 15-20G - if it is just a data partition, this can be performed using an gparted.iso booted from a flash drive. unetbootin or yumi are easy ways to create a multi-boot flash drive. I prefer yumi.
    * While still booted in gparted, create 2 partitions inside the extended partition sda2 -
    ** a) 1G for swap - format it as "linux swap"
    ** b) whatever amount is left (14-19G) for the linux installation - format as ext4
    Note the names/numbers of the larger ext4 partition - this is where you want to install Ubuntu 12.04 - we can load lxde later to reduce the runtime resources. Probably sda6 or sda7.

    Linux systems can boot just fine from logical partitions.

    A little information about the system will be useful.
    * RAM amount
    * CPU model
    * GPU installed
    Thanks. This information will let us know what we are working with to make better choices.

    BTW, excellent first post! I will do what I can to help.

    I never had 2 USB connected to the computer at the same time. I installed Ubunto 12.0.4 with unetbootin-windows-585, there I chose "Ubuntu" and "12.04_Live" pressed start and it downloaded and preperded the USB, restarted the computer and made it boot with the USB then I got the option if I wanted to try the OS or install it (first I tried it, it was slow, but I thought it was because I run it through a USB). I then had, the chose of "Install it alongside with Win XP", Install Ubunto and remove any other OS, or install it on a other partition (this was when I booted the computer with the USB). I installed it alongside win XP, it was really slow and on 100% load in idle.

    This I'm not sure about (might just be because it's late),
    Code:
    Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
    1      10.7GB  63.2GB  52.4GB  primary   ntfs         boot
    2      63.2GB  250GB   187GB   extended               lba
    5      63.2GB  250GB   187GB   logical   ntfs
    But I know this,
    Code:
    Disk 0/232,88GB
    Number/Name Capacity          Type
    1           10GB           
    2/(C:)     48,83GB      ntfs     Primary
    5/(D:)     174,04GB     ntfs
    I got this info from the Win XP Disk Management. I have no problem purging the whole harddrive, becuse my original Win XP OS is currupt and no vital information is on the harddrive. So I got 232,88GB that I can partition, I used C: as OS and programs and D: for storing of information.

    This is an nettop (Why? because everyone makes mistakes), so I decided to try Ubunto on an computer that I don't really care about. It's an Acer.

    CPU: Intel atom CPU Z520 @1.33GHz (2CPUs)
    RAM: 2GB
    Video memory: 8 MB
    GPU: Can't really remember, but might be Graphic card Acceleration 5000. (think it's an GPU on the CPU, and not an dedicated graphic card)

    I did some searching and found that Ubuntu is more resource heavy then XP and that the lubuntu might be better for older system. It's first time I'm diving in to the Linux system due to Microsoft.

    And thanks for the help.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Forida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Bootmgr missing, Boot-Repair did not work.

    If you have XP, you should not get bootmgr missing as that is for NTFS partitions with Vista or later. If XP is not booting it should be ntldr missing message.
    Did you run chkdsk from Windows 7 on your XP install? I have done that and it converted NTFS partition boot sector to Windows 7 type and I had to use Windows to convert it back. You can just run chkdsk from XP or from Windows 7 with bootsect.exe.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ot-record.html
    Use bootsect.exe to repair XP & older or Vista/7 bootsectors - Use diskpart, then list volumes to see which drive to use
    bootsect.exe /nt52 c: *compatible* with operating systems older (XP) than Windows Vista.
    bootsect.exe /nt60 c: *compatible* with Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 or later

    You are not showing any Linux partitions, so there is no Ubuntu install unless you installed with wubi inside XP. Install takes a while especially on an older system depending on Internet speed if also updating during install.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Beans
    9

    Re: Bootmgr missing, Boot-Repair did not work.

    I have run "chkdsk" it found a problem and it fixed it, but there was no different. I can login with the second windows install (Windows.0) it's just the original windows that is broken, tho I don't really care about that, and just want to try to get Ubunto to work (Or lubunto or what OS my system can handle).

    But if I installed Ubunto with wubi, should I not use unetbootin or is it Ubuntu 12.04_Live that I should not use?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Forida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Bootmgr missing, Boot-Repair did not work.

    You may have to run chkdsk several times or until it does not report a problem as it does not fix all issues on one pass.

    What second Windows, I thought you had XP?
    Windows only boots from one primary NTFS partition with the boot flag. And will not directly boot from a logical partition like Linux will.
    All second installs put boot files in first install with boot flag.
    Pictures here worth 1000+ words - Vista but all Windows with BIOS/MBR
    http://www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Beans
    9

    Re: Bootmgr missing, Boot-Repair did not work.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You may have to run chkdsk several times or until it does not report a problem as it does not fix all issues on one pass.

    What second Windows, I thought you had XP?
    Windows only boots from one primary NTFS partition with the boot flag. And will not directly boot from a logical partition like Linux will.
    All second installs put boot files in first install with boot flag.
    Pictures here worth 1000+ words - Vista but all Windows with BIOS/MBR
    http://www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html
    Second windows install, as in I got 2 different Windows installations on the computer. One dosn't work, and the other one is the one I'm using now. It's dual boot with Windows and Windows.

    Toght that chkdsk would fix all problem at one go, but I run it until it gives me no more errors then.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Forida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Bootmgr missing, Boot-Repair did not work.

    Moved to other OS since all Windows issues.

    You may need to run chkdsk on both NTFS partitions.
    You show two entries in boot.ini but both refer to the same install in sda1 or first drive, first partition.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Beans
    9

    Re: Bootmgr missing, Boot-Repair did not work.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Moved to other OS since all Windows issues.

    You may need to run chkdsk on both NTFS partitions.
    You show two entries in boot.ini but both refer to the same install in sda1 or first drive, first partition.
    So I need a fully working Windows to be able to install Ubuntu? I don't want Windows to work because I'm trying to install Ubuntu, but it gives me the Bootmgr missing when I try to install Ubuntu (or lubuntu because Ubuntu takes 1min to do something with and don't know if there is a fix for it).

    If I need Windows to install Ubuntu can't I just reformat the whole harddrive and it would be fixed?

    Edit:
    Ok, I admit I'm bad at writing, and seem to easy confuse people, but here is what I want.

    1. Install an Linux (Ubunto or a lighter version(lUbuntu?)) OS on the computer,

    CPU: Intel atom CPU Z520 @1.33GHz (2CPUs)
    RAM: 2GB
    Video memory: 8 MB
    GPU: Can't really remember, but might be Graphic card Acceleration 5000. (think it's an GPU on the CPU, and not an dedicated graphic card)
    Last edited by Frejoh466; March 10th, 2014 at 06:09 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Forida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Bootmgr missing, Boot-Repair did not work.

    You are getting error message as you DVD or flash drive is not bootable. Then BIOS defaults to hard drive and gives error.
    Did you verify ISO is correct?
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

    Does your system boot from USB flash drives? Older systems with USB ports may not boot from them, only from DVDs or CDs.

    Also instructions for DVD or USB flash drive
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    Write image or burn image not copy ISO as one large file to flash or DVD.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/US...lation%20Media
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...-cd-on-windows


    Your systems seems like it is new enough to boot Ubuntu from flash drive.
    I have a laptop from 2006 that was XP with dual core and 1.5GB that boots Ubuntu. But Unity is a bit slow, so I install flashback/fallback which uses menus. Others suggest Xubuntu or Lubuntu.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •