Thread: Where is the place do discuss Ubuntu Touch?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Where is the place do discuss Ubuntu Touch?

Where is the place to discuss Ubuntu Touch?

First thing first, I would like to know, what kinds of devices does it support? In particular, is Ubuntu Touch meant for things like Microsoft Surface Pro (this thing is x86), iPad and Nexus with a keyboard? Or should I install the regular Ubuntu (e.g. the upcoming 14.04) on them?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Where is the place do discuss Ubuntu Touch?

Thread moved to Mobile Technology Discussions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Nickolai_Leschov View Post
    Where is the place to discuss Ubuntu Touch?

First thing first, I would like to know, what kinds of devices does it support? In particular, is Ubuntu Touch meant for things like Microsoft Surface Pro (this thing is x86), iPad and Nexus with a keyboard? Or should I install the regular Ubuntu (e.g. the upcoming 14.04) on them?
    Ubuntu Touch is meant for devices that come with it preinstalled. It's not intended to be installed on third-party devices. Having said that, some Nexus devices can run Ubuntu Touch for the purpose of developing the system in anticipation of purpose-built hardware.

x86 PCs, including the Surface Pro, will use ordinary Ubuntu.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You are not the first to ask this question and it has been answered many times in this section of this forum. All we can do is point you to the official web pages.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices

All the development being done for Ubuntu on phones/tablets will be converged into the Ubuntu desktop code so that there is just one Ubuntu code base. In fact developers have started to speak only of "Ubuntu" and not "Ubuntu Touch" any more. But this convergence strategy will not be complete until the release of Ubuntu 14.10 or even Ubuntu 15.04.

Do not expect more than the developers can deliver. Remember, Ubuntu is not developed by a massive commercial organisation but by a community of developers. For example, the core phone applications are all the work of community developers. There are limits to what can be achieved.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530