Thread: Hello, im new and id like to take my first steps into linux server hosting.

Hybrid View

Beans

Hello, im new and id like to take my first steps into linux server hosting.

Heya =)

My name is Dennis im a 25 year IT student from the netherlands.
    I realy love playing indie games a lot, specialy games alike Terraria.

Im making this post on the Ubuntu forums because im looking for some help i stil cant find (this isnt the first forum for me)
    I usualy ask some people in my gaming-clan or my favorite overclock forum :3

But Thus far nobody has be able to help me to fix my linux related problems.

I went to get UBuntu server install, and i just tried it out actualy.
    That part went oke, except for something binaries......? or some basic folders i forgot what is was called (im sorry i dont remember what this was exactly)
    BUt i *just* choose one of them at random to contiu the installation.

Most of my problem related to Steamcmd , something with actualy downloading the server files onto the machine.

I never managed to figure it out and i gave up

wich actualy makes me sad Because i dont like to give up on these things (spent my entire weekend on it)

So my reason of this post and introduction is to search for somebody who wants and could help me figure all this beginner stuff out.

-----First Edit-----

Alright i see u having problems understand me , i have this isseu sometimes duo my native dutch language.
    But i wil try my best to keep it simple in lines where i am trying to explain something.

First off , id like to know where to start.

I got a version of Ubuntu Server, with just a terminal. Im very new to this but id love to slowly get used to it in some fun way.
    This is why i want to host little Dedicated Game Server on a self made Linux Machine.

The Pc i have ready to be playing the role of Host / Server =)
    (I have 2 HDD's into the machine to manualy switch harddrive if i make mistakes or try multiple OS setups)

I think for me its best to take a good look at the first step , the OS and how exactly to install it for hosting games? Sinds i had a lot of errors and almost everything i tried typing into the linux terminal to download the Dedicated server files to run it failed

-I got Ubuntu Server 12.04 on one hard drive installed and working. (but not 100% certain if installed correct)
    Sorry i cant be more specific but for now im just looking for a new basis for the Server = Wich OS is best? and how to install it.

-Then the second step i think wil be the games i want to host, and how to install and run them.

-Games i want to host (Terraria-Starbound-Edge of Space) i dont know wich one is easyiest to start with.

Tell me if u stil having trouble understand my questions
    Last edited by ddewit1989; March 8th, 2014 at 03:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Hello, im new and id like to take my first steps into linux server hosting.

Well, hello and welcome.
    It is quite unclear what you need help with. If you do need help, please edit the above post, and state the problem clearly.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by mikewhatever; March 8th, 2014 at 11:09 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

its sounds something like he want to build a game server for his mates. something can get more eyes at network or gaming area
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi again, I have to say, the edit is not much better then the original, so I am still lost.
    Looking at you post history, I see you've asked a very similar question last year -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2182540.
    Have you read the ansers?

Anyhow, IMHO, you should ask those questions here -> http://steamcommunity.com/linux