Thread: Audio Streaming

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Audio Streaming

I've installed icecream as it appears to split an audio stream into individual tracks - but as a newbie I'm struggling and got no where so far. Is there anything gui based for Ubuntu that will list/save individual audio tracks? (I am trying to find out what songs are played on a weekly bbc radio show - unfortunately 'they' do not provide a playlist. However, I can record the stream so in theory I could find out. It would be an advantage if some software could extract the songs rather than me have to do it in real time. Icecream has a -t option that looks to do it but I cannot get it to work). Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Audio Streaming

Quote Originally Posted by Quarkrad View Post
    I've installed icecream as it appears to split an audio stream into individual tracks - but as a newbie I'm struggling and got no where so far. Is there anything gui based for Ubuntu that will list/save individual audio tracks? (I am trying to find out what songs are played on a weekly bbc radio show - unfortunately 'they' do not provide a playlist. However, I can record the stream so in theory I could find out. It would be an advantage if some software could extract the songs rather than me have to do it in real time. Icecream has a -t option that looks to do it but I cannot get it to work). Thanks.
    I think you wil be pleased with guayadeque post#1 How to
    You will then have to setup your Recording Options
    Screenshots also
    1st. Enable recording(tick the enable recording option)
    If you need more help I will try to stick around for a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Yu could use Streamtuner. It includes Streamripper. I use it to make USB sticks with music to play in my car.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the Guayadeque link - it looks good. My only problem is it keeps telling me I have a GStream error: a missing plugin. I have googled and this looks a nightmare - I have most and install a few more but I keep getting the missing plugin error (I have restricted-extras).

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Quarkrad View Post
    Thanks for the Guayadeque link - it looks good. My only problem is it keeps telling me I have a GStream error: a missing plugin. I have googled and this looks a nightmare - I have most and install a few more but I keep getting the missing plugin error (I have restricted-extras).
    I'm going to assume here that you followed that how to a tee(Compiling and all successfuly)
    On opening the player in the tab section you will see Sources + Veiw + Help
    Select the View tab go down to the bottom and Select Preferences.
    Next off to the Left as seen in attachment scroll to find Playback and select that.
    Next off to the Right towards the bottom you will see Output device with a dropown select
    and simply choose one that works. May I suggest Pulse or Alsa.
    If that don't get you happy send me the URL of the stream your using
    They also have a Forum HERE
    Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QDR06VV9; March 26th, 2014 at 03:00 AM. Reason: rewrote clear as mud

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If the purpose of all this is to find out what songs are being played on the radio show, there is an easier way.

On a smartphone or tablet, install an app like Shazam or Soundhound. It will listen to a song that is playing and identify its name and who is performing it.

Beans
    Distro

3rdalbum - this is exactly what I want to do, I will try these apps, many thanks. runrickus - attached screenshot of what is happening but I have a possible clue. Setting the playback options made no difference so I have left it on Auto. The url for BBC 2 I'm using is http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_two which works if you use a browser. However, I tried the tunein option and selected local radio and the player is currently playing http://media-ice.musicradio.com/SmoothHampshireMP3 so the player is working OK. Interestingly(?) when the scanning was complete for the local radio stations there were no BBC stations - so perhaps my problem is not with guayadeque but with the fact that I'm trying to play a bbc station.

Beans
    Distro

Cracked it! I was using the wrong URL - the correct one (for BBC Solent is http://bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/bbcsolent.asx) - the correct one for radio 2 is http://bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r2.asx. Many thanks for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!

Good Job Quarkrad I also found a page for more BBC Radios HERE
    I had to right click and save the windows media player button.
    Last edited by QDR06VV9; March 26th, 2014 at 02:35 PM.