Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: K3DSurf vs MathMod

Beans

Re: K3DSurf vs MathMod

To just compile from source, you don't realy need Qt Creator:
    Open a terminal and go to the folder where is the source code and execute:
    qmake ; make
    Thats all!
    For the debian package you need a smal scrit for packaging for debian. There are plenty of examples of other packaged programs that you can adapt to your needs.
    NB: you will need probably to install the QtCreator package to make the commands "qmake" and "make" (and others) available on you Linux inatallation
    Last edited by nextstep; April 2nd, 2014 at 12:56 AM.

Beans

OK, got it running; thanks for the help. Some comments regarding the program itself, as it compares to its predecessor: the rendering looks good and I'm happy to see the library of prepared examples. It feels a little less intuitive/discoverable though. The main thing I liked with K3DSurf was that I could suggest it to my students as an easy way to render and visualise the various surfaces they would encounter in their homework. So for example if there was a particular level surface you're interested in, you could open up the program, replace the function for the Schwartz surface with a different function, and hit run. You could then play around with the various parameters. Right now that doesn't seem to work for me in MathMod - my guess is that I would need to write a script modelled on one of the existing ones if my surface wasn't already in the examples, which is more than I could reasonably expect from most students.
    Any chance you're working towards an interface closer to what K3DSurf had? The use case here is one where I'd have my surface in mind, choose either the isosurface or parametric tab accordingly, type the relevant functions into the boxes, set my parameters, and hit run. Further interaction with the surface might involve moving sliders to adjust the mesh density, parameter ranges, etc. Thanks.

Beans

Hi,
    Hope this youtube videos will help. As I mentioned before, MathMod is using a scripting language to describe it's mathematical models.
    Scripts can become quite complex to read/update when it include more than one component (see the BlackHole example), this is why I'm working on a "script editor" that will make it easy to view/modify the scripting language. As shown in the video, it already have some look and feel "a la K3DSurf" and support some basic operations, but it lacks some essential features and still unstable especially with complex scripts manipulations...
    Working on it
    Abderrahman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12