Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu/eOS not booting because of "efidisk read error".

Ubuntu/eOS not booting because of "efidisk read error".

Hello Ubuntu Community,
    first of let me introduce myself to you.
    I am a newbie at Linux, but I just love overall the Linux Distros, I can't really say why, maybe because I kinda hate Windows, maybe because I love Open Source Projects where you can learn something however yesterday I was brave enough to install elementaryOS (dualBoot it with Windows8), it was kinda a hell to find out how to install it on a pre-installed Windows 8 Laptop. However yesterday it worked perfectly, nothing wrong everything expected as planned , though I couldn't start Windows because of some error called "command 'drive not found" or something similiar, however I looked over at Google and the UbuntuForums and found out that I should probably install Boot-Repair and repair "common errors", however I did everything as it was instructed to me, then Windows 8 could start, but Elementary OS couldn't. It said for like 1-2 seconds something about "efidisk read error", and immidatley went to GNU Grub or something like that (somehow looked like a Terminal without and interface). However I am not able to boot into elementaryOS, but Windows 8 works perfectly, any suggestions?
    thank you!
    The pastebin btw, http://paste.ubuntu.com/7050506/ , something to do with Grub I guess?
    Last edited by anything else really; March 14th, 2014 at 10:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu/eOS not booting because of "efidisk read error".

I'm taking a guess here but maybe UEFI is causing issues? See the guide here and hopefully that helps.
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Does that mean I have to reinstall eOS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to the "Other OS/Distro Support" forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It looks like you originally installed in BIOS boot mode.
    UEFI & BIOS are not compatible and you can then only dual boot by directly booting from UEFI menu not from grub.
    But it looks like Boot-Repair converted install to UEFI boot.
    But you have the older version of grub2's os-prober that does not create correct UEFI boot entries. It still creates BIOS boot entries that will never work.
    Boot-Repair has created correct UEFI chain load entries to Windows, so use those new entries.
    Use this or boot from UEFI menu:
    menuentry "Windows UEFI bootmgfw.efi"

Do not turn on secure boot nor hibernation(fast boot) in Windows.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Thank you for your answere, though I don't want to make any mistakes, so could you possibly give me a step-by-step instruction?
    Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Can you boot from UEFI/BIOS? You should have options for both Windows and ubuntu.

And the Ubuntu option should give you a grub menu with Ubuntu and several Windows options. But only some of the Windows options will work.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Yes, I can boot from Bios (if you mean by spaming esc to get onto bootloader) however oi I choose eOS something similar like a terminal pops up and I can give commands such as exit,boot,etc. If i write boot it says it can't find a kernel.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That sounds more like you are getting to grub menu not UEFI menu. UEFI is before grub.
    UEFI/BIOS Boot keys - about halfway down on this Microsoft page
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ows-to-go.aspx

Several have posted their screens.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well mine looks like the third one of you attached Thumbnails, but as I said if I click on "ubuntu" / "elementaryOS" the terminal of GRUB will start, and if I write "boot" into it or "continue" elementaryOS will start and tell me that it didn't find any kernel
    Last edited by anything else really; March 8th, 2014 at 10:57 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast