Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: have you got a really old computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: have you got a really old computer

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    You have really tried hard. I think we can conclude that the capability of your NEC machine is below the limit to run a modern Ubuntu based system. It might be as simple as too low RAM, but we will not know for sure.

These systems boot on faster more recent machines, so I think the installation failed for some reason. If you want to reduce the overhead of the installation to a minimum, use the following commands (modify the name of the compressed image file for the Trusty image)

Code:
    sudo -s                                     # enter superuser prompt (if a regular user)
    xzcat dd-LubuSaucy-pae2pm-4GB.img.xz | dd bs=4096 of=/dev/sdx
    sync                 # and wait for the command prompt (while writing to the USB drive)
    exit                                        # exit superuser prompt
    where x is the target drive.

from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...e_as_superuser
    Will try this later. Also I think I may have some RAM upgrade but will have to dig

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    No, we can not make that conclusion. I did not try as much stuff on the Saucy computer. I did open some card game, just to see, but that's about it. On my Trusty machine I tried "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", but after over an hour and much swapping it seems to have given up. Ya, it seems update manager has crashed. I think you have two good data points from ventrical and I. Ventrical @ 166 Mhz and 80 Megabytes is not enough. Me at 200 Mhz and 115 Megabytes right on the edge, and while installation was fine, operationally probably not enough.

Nice work Doug S.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Will try this later. Also I think I may have some RAM upgrade but will have to dig
    That would be nice - to find out if it is a 'low RAM' issue or something else, maybe more fundamental, that prevents Lubuntu Trusty to work in your NEC.

Good luck digging for some more old RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just in case we want to come back and try something, I'll keep my computer the way it is now, with the trusty version, for about a week. At some point I will do a new Ubuntu Server install from the daily as it has been a few months since I last did it, and the computer is an excellent minimum requirements (actually less than minimum) test bed.

By the way, I did play a bit more before turning it off. I tried the web browser, but it eventually crashed and the system said "not enough free memory to make a report".
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm polishing the 9w installer, but I do not plan to polish the compressed images (Lubuntu Saucy and Trusty), so I would be happy if you can try the installation procedure again, but not necessarily in an extremely old computer (we know what works, and the polishing will not change the memory usage significantly).

The changes are due to your complaints about

-the usb-toggle and the lack of easily available information about things like
    - 'root user so no sudo',
    - user name and login to the installed systems

plus a few things that I wanted to improve:

- There will be desktop icon(s) for the compressed image(s), 1 in CD size iso files, maybe several in larger iso files.
    - and some recommended commands are high-lighted in red in the text screen and terminal window ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

you may also like to try with core-install, it really is lubuntu stripped to the bone (e.g. you'll have to choose a low-resource browser such as xombrero) That requires the minimal (net) install. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lu...MinimalInstall

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by phillw View Post
    you may also like to try with core-install, it really is lubuntu stripped to the bone (e.g. you'll have to choose a low-resource browser such as xombrero) That requires the minimal (net) install. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lu...MinimalInstall
    That's a good idea. I made such a tarball for the OBI, but it was Saucy, and I can make a new one for Trusty. So from the master installation, I can make one compressed 'dd-image' file and one OBI-tarball. And the 'dd-image' file is to be used with the installer that we test in this thread, 9w. Would you suggest that it should boot into a text screen or directly into graphics mode (LXDE)?

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi again

I'm close to uploading a polished version of the experimental 9w installer. And according to phillw's suggestion, there are updated compressed images with his nonpae kernel.

1. An ultra-light text only system made from the Ubuntu Trusty beta 1 mini.iso dd_TrustyB1npae-text.img.xz

This system should run with 80 MB RAM, so it should be possible to test it with a pre Pentium II CPU (that the non-pae properties really work). I hope you have time to test it ventrical

2. A very light Lubuntu Core system made from the Ubuntu Trusty beta 1 mini.iso dd_TrustyB1npae-LubuCore.img.xz

This system is lighter than the previous 'Ltrusty' and might run with 128 MB RAM ... I hope you have time to test it Doug S

3. And for comparison the Lubuntu Saucy system available last time too

*. Finally a 'DVD sized' iso file with all these three compressed images in the same installer.

This container is convenient if you want to install from a DVD or USB pendrive (but is obviously oversized for an old system which only understands CDs).
    Last edited by sudodus; March 15th, 2014 at 05:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

The polished version of the experimental 9w installer including new compressed images is uploaded to

http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/9w/

Code:
    1_Help-to-run-experimental_9w-installer.txt -> README.txt
    1477443584 mar 15 13:45 9w_multi-install_trusty-n-saucy.iso
        439461 mar  7 10:23 GrowIt.pdf
           343 mar 14 20:39 login-n-password.txt
     708837376 mar 15 13:22 LubuSaucy-pae2pm-4GB.iso
           991 mar 15 14:22 md5sums.txt.asc
        101211 mar  6 17:40 mkUSB-quick-start-manual.pdf
          4421 mar 13 21:53 README.txt
     660602880 mar 15 12:44 TrustyB1npae-LubuCore.iso
     530579456 mar 15 08:49 TrustyB1npae-text.iso

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    2. A very light Lubuntu Core system made from the Ubuntu Trusty beta 1 mini.iso dd_TrustyB1npae-LubuCore.img.xz
    This system is lighter than the previous 'Ltrusty' and might run with 128 MB RAM ... I hope you have time to test it Doug S

*. Finally a 'DVD sized' iso file with all these three compressed images in the same installer.
    This container is convenient if you want to install from a DVD or USB pendrive (but is obviously oversized for an old system which only understands CDs).
    O.K. downloading the "multi install" now. It will probably be sometime later tomorrow before I report back.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast