Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: have you got a really old computer

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: have you got a really old computer

There is a better description of the Lubuntu Saucy system, that you are installing. See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...is_changeme.2C

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am doing the trusty iso version now and will report on it later...

I started up my 486-50 box, but is just not up to this. It only has 32 megabytes of memory and the disk is only 516 megabytes.
    Before today, the last time I powered it up was 2006.03.30, or 8 years ago. It seems to run just fine, but I can not recall my password.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    I am doing the trusty iso version now and will report on it later...

I started up my 486-50 box, but is just not up to this. It only has 32 megabytes of memory and the disk is only 516 megabytes.
    Before today, the last time I powered it up was 2006.03.30, or 8 years ago. It seems to run just fine, but I can not recall my password.
    You are right, it can be nice to revive such an old computer, but it cannot run what we want to test now. I'm sure that we need more than 32 MB, maybe 3x32 might work. And there might be other limiting factors too. By the way, what OS is it, can you see that without logging in?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    It works with a 128 MB RAM stick which is great Yes, some RAM is used for other tasks and not available (and displayed by mem).

Lubuntu cannot be installed with the standard installers (neither with the desktop installer nor with the alternate installer). I could install it with 160 MB from the mini.iso (which is similar to the alternate installer), as reported at this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/LowRamTesting

I think ventricals problems could be that 80 MB is to low RAM. Or maybe that Trusty lacks zRAM, or that some driver doesn't cooperate with the hardware.
    That seems about it for now. The USB experiment failed also. It finished the install (after 2 hours) but it will not boot (not even on faster more recent machines). Ill keep at it.

Beans
    Distro

The trusty iso installation went fine, and the computer boots fine. However, I think it is pretty marginal and on the harry edge, and can easily bog down with swapping and getting not much else done. I made the mistake of trying to open another terminal window while trying to install open-ssh server with the other terminal session (which didn't work, by the way). I had to have a nap while the disk light was on constantly for a long time.

Memory: Total 115; Used 112; Free 3
    Swap: Total 319; Used 39; Free 280

The 486-50 computer is running Red Hat Linux version 5.2 (Apollo) Kernel 2.0.36 on a i486.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    That seems about it for now. The USB experiment failed also. It finished the install (after 2 hours) but it will not boot (not even on faster more recent machines). Ill keep at it.
    You have really tried hard. I think we can conclude that the capability of your NEC machine is below the limit to run a modern Ubuntu based system. It might be as simple as too low RAM, but we will not know for sure.

These systems boot on faster more recent machines, so I think the installation failed for some reason. If you want to reduce the overhead of the installation to a minimum, use the following commands (modify the name of the compressed image file for the Trusty image)

Code:
    sudo -s                                     # enter superuser prompt (if a regular user)
    xzcat dd-LubuSaucy-pae2pm-4GB.img.xz | dd bs=4096 of=/dev/sdx
    sync                 # and wait for the command prompt (while writing to the USB drive)
    exit                                        # exit superuser prompt
    where x is the target drive.

from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...e_as_superuser

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    The trusty iso installation went fine, and the computer boots fine. However, I think it is pretty marginal and on the harry edge, and can easily bog down with swapping and getting not much else done. I made the mistake of trying to open another terminal window while trying to install open-ssh server with the other terminal session (which didn't work, by the way). I had to have a nap while the disk light was on constantly for a long time.

Memory: Total 115; Used 112; Free 3
    Swap: Total 319; Used 39; Free 280

The 486-50 computer is running Red Hat Linux version 5.2 (Apollo) Kernel 2.0.36 on a i486.
    I think you had better luck than ventrical concerning the horsepower and memory of the testing machine. I think too, that it is very close to the low limit, where this Lubuntu Trusty with a non-pae kernel can run. I recognize the symptoms you describe: 'it can easily bog down with swapping and getting not much else done'.

If I understand correctly, Lubuntu Saucy was more vital in the same computer, not quite as close to the limit. Is that so, or am I jumping to conclusions?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    If I understand correctly, Lubuntu Saucy was more vital in the same computer, not quite as close to the limit. Is that so, or am I jumping to conclusions?
    No, we can not make that conclusion. I did not try as much stuff on the Saucy computer. I did open some card game, just to see, but that's about it. On my Trusty machine I tried "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", but after over an hour and much swapping it seems to have given up. Ya, it seems update manager has crashed. I think you have two good data points from ventrical and I. Ventrical @ 166 Mhz and 80 Megabytes is not enough. Me at 200 Mhz and 115 Megabytes right on the edge, and while installation was fine, operationally probably not enough.

Beans
    Hidden!

ventrical and Doug S,

Thank you very much for helping us (the Lubuntu community) find the low limit of our current flavours of Ubuntu
    It's very late here in Sweden, so I'd better get some sleep now.

Best regards
    sudodus alias nio-wiklund at launchpad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unhappy Re: have you got a really old computer

Sorry I can't help you here - I once had a full-tower packing an Intel® A80503-200 and matching PCIset™, but that had been scrapped years ago (as of 2014). I also had a Leading Edge® system built around an Intel® N80286-12 and matching chipset (mfd. for Intel Corporation by ZyMOS) on a Daewoo® mobo at one time, but that wouldn't have met minimum system requirements for LinUX.
    Video Drivers:
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Kepler and the nvidia-current metapackage.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast