Thread: Hp pavillion ze4900 can handle 12.04 ?

Beans

Question Hp pavillion ze4900 can handle 12.04 ?

I have an old hp pavillon ze4900 with 1 gb of ram (I added another ram stick in the socket ) and without a hard drive. I found one that's compatible for realatively cheap and I was wondering if the old bad boy can handle LTS 12.04.04. It came with Windows XP pre-installed BTW

I've seen the requirements on the website and I think it can handle it, however I've never even installed an os on any computer and I only used ubuntu 8.0, i belive in the school, so if anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Hp pavillion ze4900 can handle 12.04 ?

I have just looked up the spec's and it seem's to have a 1.5ghz processor so yes you would be able to install ubuntu 12.04 lts it might not be a power horse of a computer but it will be good little system for ligtht use. You could also try xbuntu,lubuntu or kubuntu download all three and have a play about with them on a live session to see which you think peforms better and which you prefer. Nothing wrong with experimenting

Beans

Thank you very much for aswering Just wondering, when you say light use, you also imply the internet browsing will be fine right?
    I hadn't considered xubunt kubuntu or lubuntu before honestly, but I will take a take peak. Thank you for mentioning them

Beans

Light use can be considered internet/email and some document editing, but probably no heavy audio/visual work.

With those specs, to get the most performance, try xubuntu first. It uses XFCE, which is a lightweight GTK 2 (?) desktop. If that still feels a bit sluggish, then Lubuntu would be your best shot. Lubuntu is LXDE, which is built around Openbox, one of the BEST lightweight Window Managers IMHO (Ex-arch user here, so I may be biased). Try Kubuntu if you want, but you'd have to configure KDE to be more lightweight probably, and I'd start doing that by disabling akonadi and trying to stay away from nepomuk too. That will bring the RAM requirements of KDE down by a tonne.

Just give it a try and see what you like. That's the beauty of Linux; it's usable on some of the most ancient hardware around :3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

As jordan_cameron said *Light use can be considered internet/email and some document editing, but probably no heavy audio/visual work.*
    You should also be ok to play youtube videos but I would definitely try xbuntu it's a nice little os in my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I also recommend using an Ubuntu derivative, as the official Ubuntu requires a "bigger" machine to work smoothly.
    Also, you should consider Elementary OS, it is Ubuntu 12.04 based.
    Last edited by nunecas123; March 6th, 2014 at 03:51 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nunecas123 View Post
    I also recommend using an Ubuntu derivative, as the official Ubuntu requires a "bigger" machine to work smoothly.
    Also, you should consider Elementary OS, it is Ubuntu 12.04 based.
    So ubuntu won't run smoothly on the laptop? Or does luna provide much better performance than ubuntu?

Beans

I'd recommend Lubuntu 13.10, installed using the alternate iso from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/re...13.10/release/ (choose "PC (Intel x86) alternate install image").
    It runs very well on machines with low amounts of RAM (I installed with just 256 MB!). The alternate install iso makes it a little easier to get through the install process without errors. The installation guide makes things a bit easier, and can be found here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lu...ternateInstall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It is up to you. I have a similar computer (with less RAM) running full Ubuntu and it is okay. You can certainly install Ubuntu and try it out. If it is a bit sluggish for you, just install the LXDE or XFCE packages to turn your system into Lubuntu or Xubuntu which will run a bit faster, albeit with fewer features. You can switch between them at any time at the login screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ales2 View Post
    So ubuntu won't run smoothly on the laptop? Or does luna provide much better performance than ubuntu?
    In my experience, Luna runs a bit faster.