Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing sound in 14.04

Beans

Re: Fixing sound in 14.04

@ToR & theos911:

Thanks for the replies and the data on the flash alternatives . . . not a major issue for me, I was just reporting in this thread that not only was sound not working, but obviously Pandora reads the browser as "old" . . . whereas I'm pretty sure in 12.04 I can play videos in FF . . . but, as I mentioned sound is not working in the iBook . . . . But good to know there are some work arounds.

While I was still booted in 14.04 I ran "lsmod" and quite a number of "snd" modules showed up in the list . . . seems odd that they aren't working? Or, is it just some special module that works with Mac? Anyway, no rush to 14.04 here . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

See this bug for sound:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...t/+bug/1296373
    This is inherited from Debian.
    There are some instructions there for how to fix it...
    Please mark the bug as affecting you

Beans

@ToR:

Did that bug report thing . . . mentioning that this seems to have cropped up in the Xu 14.04 install I have on my MBPro . . . .

e.e.p.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by John_Ross_Hunt View Post
    No sound with my machine either.

PowerBook G4 12"
    PowerBook6,4

Code:
    no layout-idchild is ...
    /proc/device-tree/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/i2s@10000/i2s-a@10000/sound
    device-id is ...
    (
    That's device id 40. You must have the same machine as Stefan https://lists.debian.org/debian-powe.../msg00031.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    That's device id 40. You must have the same machine as Stefan https://lists.debian.org/debian-powe.../msg00031.html
    It is, except his patch is slightly wrong. The PowerBook6,4 needs this:

.connections = tas_connections_nolineout,

instead of this:

.connections = tas_connections_all,

There isn't a dedicated line-out on the PB6,4, it's a headphone jack that toggles with the internal speaker. And the line-in toggles with the built-in microphone. Stefan's patch works, but alsamixer displays a phantom line-out device that's not connected to any hardware. PB6,4 is nearly identical to the PB6,8, which uses "tas_connections_nolineout".

Now, the question is how to get the linuxppc-dev folks to accept patches. I've seen several sound patches posted on their mailing list (a couple for my machine as well), but it doesn't look like they ever get committed. It doesn't look like anyone is maintaining the sound drivers at the moment.

Beans

Well you could try sending the patch to the alsa-devel list instead - http://mailman.alsa-project.org/mail...nfo/alsa-devel

Beans

I have an iMac G4 (ilamp) and sound has been broken, in more than one way, since lubuntu 12.04 or so.
    Spending the last few days trying to install a working distro again, 11.04 doesn't seem to be available.
    Tried all the fixes I've read (using snd-aoa instead of snd-powermac, without success)

At any rate, MintPPC 9,3 works now.
    cat /proc/asound/cards gives me:
    PMac Snapper - PowerMac Snapper
    PowerMac Snapper (Dev 33) Sub-frame 0
    edit: using snd-powermac

System specs are (iMac G4 1GHz/17"):
    Machine Model: PowerMac6,1
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
    CPU Speed (1 GHz)
    Boot rom: 4.5.9f1

Any ideas what I need to do in order to get sound working under 14.04?
    Last edited by daniel_gustafsson2; July 8th, 2014 at 11:09 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daniel_gustafsson2 View Post
    I have an iMac G4 (ilamp) and sound has been broken, in more than one way, since lubuntu 12.04 or so.
    Spending the last few days trying to install a working distro again, 11.04 doesn't seem to be available.
    Tried all the fixes I've read (using snd-aoa instead of snd-powermac, without success)

At any rate, MintPPC 9,3 works now.

d_g2:

The problem with MintPPC 9.3 is that it is, uh, "old" . . . I think it was about 2 years ago when I first got into linux that I was installing MintPPC on my iMac/iBook . . . that's a loooonnngggg time ago . . . .

It's interesting, because when I first installed 12.04 on my iLamp sound worked fine . . . then a few months ago with a kernel upgrade it went away . . . due according to anonymous sources, to the Debian "hw-detect" bug . . . which means that the system doesn't recognize the machine . . . and so doesn't load the proper modules to bring full capacity . . . including sound. So, then some folks are going back to earlier kernels to get function, but eventually that brings other problems with compatibility/dependencies . . . .

Possibly the 14.04.1 update due out later this month ***might*** bring some fixes for PPC . . . but, frankly it does seem like PPC is dropping lower on the radar screen . . . and stuff like these bugs and problems with sound aren't getting the attention needed . . . . My iMac is running fine, probably has a few years left in it . . . what runs best on it? Actually OSX 10.4.11 with Ten4Fox+perian is now doing better than 12.04, whereas a few months ago 12.04 had more capacity . . . on the iMac. I'm looking forward to seeing how 14.04.1 does on the iBook . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daniel_gustafsson2 View Post
    Sound should work in 12.04. What is the exact problem you have? e.g. does alsamixer start?

It could be the same as 12.04, it maybe more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post
    d_g2:
    It's interesting, because when I first installed 12.04 on my iLamp sound worked fine . . . then a few months ago with a kernel upgrade it went away . . . due according to anonymous sources, to the Debian "hw-detect" bug . . . which means that the system doesn't recognize the machine . . . and so doesn't load the proper modules to bring full capacity . . . including sound. So, then some folks are going back to earlier kernels to get function, but eventually that brings other problems with compatibility/dependencies . . . .
    Hmm... not sure about that eep. It certainly will not be the hw-detect bug on an already working system.

Possibly the 14.04.1 update due out later this month ***might*** bring some fixes for PPC . . . but, frankly it does seem like PPC is dropping lower on the radar screen . . . and stuff like these bugs and problems with sound aren't getting the attention needed . . . .
    This thread was started by me to fix sound in 14.04 before it was released. Before that Stefan over on the Debian mailing list tried to get help. Nobody contributed therefore it was not fixed. The only people to blame are the ppc users.

My iMac is running fine, probably has a few years left in it . . . what runs best on it? Actually OSX 10.4.11 with Ten4Fox+perian is now doing better than 12.04, whereas a few months ago 12.04 had more capacity . . . on the iMac. I'm looking forward to seeing how 14.04.1 does on the iBook . . . .
    If you really must have the latest and greatest then I think openSUSE is probably a good option. Otherwise, stick with 12.04 is my recommendation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    Hmm... not sure about that eep. It certainly will not be the hw-detect bug on an already working system.
    @rs: Nice to hear a comment or two from you again . . . but, on the "hw-detect bug" issue, I'm just repeating what I saw said to others or to me on the lubuntu users list in terms of the recent sound thread there. Like I said, sound was working fine . . . then, not???

This thread was started by me to fix sound in 14.04 before it was released. Before that Stefan over on the Debian mailing list tried to get help. Nobody contributed therefore it was not fixed. The only people to blame are the ppc users.
    Always appreciate your efforts to help out . . . just in the last couple days your bug report on this topic is showing up by email . . . and reading through your first post you did mention ways of dealing with the "hw-detect" issue . . . so far have not have had the time or the need . . . sound seems OK in my MBPro edition of 14.04 . . . not had time to deal with installing 14.04 PPC on the iBook/iMac. But, a tad "easy" to slough off blame on "ppc users" for problems in a particular distro, especially if it implies that one is "available for ppc" . . . . I use the lubuntu users list as an example . . . a gentleman there called for testers for ppc . . . then a few days later said, "the iso is ready but not for ppc, nobody responded . . . ." I posted back to the list and directly to him as well, suggesting that they post a "testers wanted" thread on this list . . . no reply from him, and within several days, nothing posted here . . . . Can't call that due diligence . . . unfortunately I have to do other stuff in my life, and linux is a distant fourth or fifth in terms of hobbies . . . . I know I'm not the only person running a PPC computer, looking for an up to date browser . . . basic function . . . w/o having to spend days just to get the functions viable . . . ???? Is the first step to my recovery to accept the blame for the ppc situation??? : - 0

If you really must have the latest and greatest then I think openSUSE is probably a good option. Otherwise, stick with 12.04 is my recommendation.
    OpenSUSE . . . OK, might check it. In terms of PPC, agreed right now the iMac is standing with 12.04, it's fine for the linux half, not worth the time and effort to get something newer . . . . Might fiddle with 14.04.1 for the iBook . . . might need your help/insight to get the radeon thing straightened out, K??? Can I call you, at home . . . ??? : - ))))

e.e.p.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast