Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I install Ubuntu 14.04 Now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Should I install Ubuntu 14.04 Now?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Well I disagree. Based on past experience new releases are always kind of buggy and I would not even install a new release right after it comes out especially if you use proprietary drivers. I would wait at least for a month for the post installation bug fixes and third party repositories to be properly set up (if you use those, like steam) So my timetime for OP is not even April, but maybe May or June.
    I agree with this disagree. The essence of releases in development is that things change. Sometimes those changes cause problems. Might be a minor bug. Might be you can't boot. Might work today. Might not work tomorrow.

It's impossible to test everything on every possible hardware setup, so new bugs are often uncovered by users as soon as a new release hits. You can get a decent feel for how things are going by hanging around this place.

(Descriptions of the new bits in 14.04 are widely available. It's your call on whether or not they are so enticing that jumping in pre-release is worth the risk.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Ubuntu+1.

Quote Originally Posted by DaLazySapien View Post
    Would it be relatively "safe" to just install the Beta of 14.04 now as my daily driver or should I install 13.10 for a month? I don't mind dealing with the occasional bug and see it as a learning experience but I don't want to use something that is going to fight me every step of the way because its not ready for heavy use .
    I've been using the development release as a "daily driver"since 13.04 but not without the safety of 12.04 on a second disk and symlinked /home folders on a third.

Nvidia Drivers
    Steam
    Vmware
    Chrome
    Libre Office
    Wine (PlayOnLinux as well)
    VLC
    I also connect to a networked external drive thats connected to my router so I'd need that to work as well.
    Of your list, I have no issues with any of it, but don't use Steam and Virtualbox not Vmware.

None of this matters anyway, good luck with 13.10 and hope you get to 14.04 when released.

Beans

I tried 13.10 briefly, and found it to be horribly unstable. I finally gave up and installed 14.04. I've been using it as my primary system in my laptop and in my desktop.

I don't use it for some of the applications you run, but everything I use it for runs and runs....I have 1 install on my desktop and one on my Dell laptop, the Dell laptop install runs from a usb flash drive and it runs well after doing some enhancements (move /tmp and logs to ram, change to ext 4 format with journaling turned off, install preload).

14.04 fixes my video by installing the mesa video drivers by default, and the wireless now works-previously I had to run a usb wireless plug in unit.

I'm thrilled with 14.04-and look forward to the official release in April.

Artie

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DaLazySapien View Post
    Would it be relatively "safe" to just install the Beta of 14.04 now as my daily driver or should I install 13.10 for a month? I don't mind dealing with the occasional bug and see it as a learning experience but I don't want to use something that is going to fight me every step of the way because its not ready for heavy use
    I would suggest that you not only wait for the actual release but wait for another month after this. By then the dust will have well and truly settled...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've been running 14.04 as my main (and only) system for 2 months now and aside from a few minor bugs, it's been rock solid...i don't think he would need to wait a month after release to install...
    I'd say most of the "dust" has already settled

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I've been running 14.04 as my main (and only) system for 2 months now and aside from a few minor bugs, it's been rock solid...i don't think he would need to wait a month after release to install...
    I'd say most of the "dust" has already settled
    +1, but I will also echo the other dudes in expecting the unexpected with development software.

I've been using TT (UG versoin) since last year, and it's been fairly stable. The most recent updates were quite hairy; before that, I borked a few installs during the Gnome 3.8-3.10 transition, and Nvidia-331 jusssst became my friend.

Today, my systems (Ivy Bridge, MSI Mobo, Nvidia 210 +T61 (Nvidia laptop) are stable as we near feature freeze.
    Ubuntu +1 (Trusty Tahr)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Good points here, but first I would ask you to assess how picky you are. That is, how much do you customize?

If not much (as it seems), then only a small investment of time has been made in configuration. If things break, you only need to preserve any data files because whichever system can be easily reinstalled.

But if a substantial amount of your time has been spent in tweaks and setups, then you'd want to be sure to have updated backups of ~/ and any new or edited system-side files.

In either case or in-between, it comes down to saving all your work. Then the version won't much matter: You're free to play.

(Tip: Create a reinstall.txt file and keep commands used in system setup, along with any notes, in there.)

Beans

Since it's only a few weeks until 14.04 LTS comes out, I recommend just waiting until it's officially released, as you wouldn't have any stability concerns then unless you break it yourself somehow.
    Metal: HP dc5750 | OS: Arch Linux 32-bit | Kernel: 3.14.0-1-ARCH | 1.8GHz AMD Sempron 3400+ | 1.5GiB RAM | 80GiB HDD | DM/DE combo: LXDM + MATE.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRocket1233c View Post
    Since it's only a few weeks until 14.04 LTS comes out, I recommend just waiting until it's officially released, as you wouldn't have any stability concerns then unless you break it yourself somehow.
    You are very optimistic. I would wait a month or two for post release bug fixes before I use 14.04 as my "real" system. IMO It is highly irresponsible to tell not very experienced users to trade in their working system for a new release at the first opportunity (that's why the notification for new release should be disabled in update-manager)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    You are very optimistic. I would wait a month or two for post release bug fixes before I use 14.04 as my "real" system.
    Exactly. It is one thing for a relatively small number of alpha and beta testers to look at a growing release, it is a quite another thing for many, many thousands of installers with a myriad of different hardware configuration and software needs (and widely varying Linux skills) install a new release version. This is where many problems become apparent.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast