Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I install Ubuntu 14.04 Now?

Beans

Should I install Ubuntu 14.04 Now?

Hello all and thanks in advance for the answer to my question. I've been using Linux off and on for about a year now and have finally made the 100% switch over to the OS. I'm currently running Linux Mint 16 (Cinnamon) and want to move over to Ubuntu. I know that Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will be officially releasing next month but would like to switch over as soon as possible.

Would it be relatively "safe" to just install the Beta of 14.04 now as my daily driver or should I install 13.10 for a month? I don't mind dealing with the occasional bug and see it as a learning experience but I don't want to use something that is going to fight me every step of the way because its not ready for heavy use .

If it helps bring clarity to my question, here are a few things that I use on a daily basis and need to work well in 14.04.

Nvidia Drivers
    Steam
    Vmware
    Chrome
    Libre Office
    Wine (PlayOnLinux as well)
    VLC
    I also connect to a networked external drive thats connected to my router so I'd need that to work as well.

Thanks again for your insight and no matter what the answer I'll be making the switch to Ubuntu 14.04 at some point

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Should I install Ubuntu 14.04 Now?

I would recommend installing 13.10 and then upgrading in due course. This is partly because as you well know 14.04 is still in development and there will be bugs which could leave your system useless and you might have to do a fresh install. If you don't mind the possibility of having problems which could render your system useless go ahead. If like me you are curious and want to have a play about may I also recommend having a duel boot system with 13.10 and 14.04 until the final release is available this will give you the option to have a play about with the latest development release and always have a working system you can use until the final lts is released then do a fresh install this therefore gives you the best of both worlds Hope you have fun

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is your decision. You take responsibility. I would not advise anyone who posts into the Absolute Beginners section of this forum to install a development version of Ubuntu. And I have been using Trusty Tahr (Ubuntu 14.04 under development) daily since the first week of its development cycle. And I trust Trusty but I expect it to break and I have taken precautions.

We have a section of this forum dedicated to discussing the Ubuntu development branch. It is called Ubuntu+1.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=427

Browse through the posts. See, what others have noticed in their testing of Trusty Tahr. Make your choice.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 4th, 2014 at 10:50 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I definitely wouldn't recommend going to a beta/testing platform as your only/primary environment. Linux has lots of good ways to do dual boots so if you want to muck around with new features, that's probably the way to go. It's never fun when you need your computer for something but realize it's broken by a buggy OS and you've got to spend half the day installing something else.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

+1 for waiting until next month. Dual boot is you want to try it until then, having to fix things is often a good learning experience.
    David D.
    Ubuntu 16.10 64-bit on HP Envy 17

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can install 14.04 now. By the time an Ubuntu release gets to beta it is pretty well tested and fairly stable. When the final release comes out it will be a normal update for you (no reinstallation necessary).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    You can install 14.04 now. By the time an Ubuntu release gets to beta it is pretty well tested and fairly stable. When the final release comes out it will be a normal update for you (no reinstallation necessary).
    Well I disagree. Based on past experience new releases are always kind of buggy and I would not even install a new release right after it comes out especially if you use proprietary drivers. I would wait at least for a month for the post installation bug fixes and third party repositories to be properly set up (if you use those, like steam) So my timetime for OP is not even April, but maybe May or June.

Beans

I would recommend installing 13.10 with a separate /home partition. When it is time for installing 14.04 (optimistically sometimes in May or more realistically probably mid -late June), do a clean install of 14.04 and do not format /home. That way you won't lose your data and settings.

I would emphasize that you should avoid "upgrading" with the update manager becayse it will prompt you for upgrade the day 14.04 is released and 'upgrading' takes hours and likely to break if you have Nvidia driver and third party repos such as steam (the system has to be restored to a 'clean' state for 'upgrade' to work and the restoration itself is more work than doing a 20 minute clean install)

So to avoid upgrading by accident (and breaking the system consequently) I would just disable the prompt for upgrade in the update-manager. Go to update-manager's settings to set "Notify me when a new Ubuntu is released" (something like that) to "never".
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 5th, 2014 at 03:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Even with /home on the same partition, you can do a clean install without losing your /home.

Beans

Thanks to all for the replies. I've gone ahead and installed Ubuntu 13.10 earlier today and its running great. I was impatient about the new release but that kind of behavior can get you into more trouble than its worth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast