Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on Wine

Beans

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on Wine

Hello guys,

I am extremely new to Ubuntu, been using it for a couple years but I'm not too versed on the technical side at all.
    I've tried to install games on Vine a couple times but never got anything to work properly, so I always kept Win7 on dual boot to switch over for gaming.

Now I've decided I want to play Heroes of Might and Magic 3 again. This is what I did:
    I have Wine and Winetricks installed.
    I got the GOG.com version of HOMM3.
    I executed the install.exe file. Installation with Wine went fine.
    I got the widescreen HD patch (https://sites.google.com/site/heroes3hd/)

I started the patch - a window appears. I hit Launch. I get a black screen and I see the HOMM3 cursor - but Wine freezes and must be forcefully terminated. I am using Ubuntu 12.04.

Can anyone give me a hint on what to do? I really don't have any idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on Wine

Have you tried launching the game via the terminal?

Code:
    wine game.exe
    Will give you output so should help diagnose better!

Good ratings on WineHQ straight out of the box so maybe you can post back some output?

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=24425
    Last edited by Jake_Paine; March 4th, 2014 at 04:53 PM.

Beans

Hello Jake!

I've done as you've said and started the HD Launcher via the terminal, then started HOMM3 via the launcher. This is the output in the terminal:

fixme:wininet:CommitUrlCacheEntryInternal entry already in cache - don't know what to do!
    fixme:wininet:CommitUrlCacheEntryInternal entry already in cache - don't know what to do!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f700,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {5959df60-2911-11d1-b049-0020af30269a} not registered
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {5959df60-2911-11d1-b049-0020af30269a} could be created for context 0x1
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f700,0x00000000), stub!
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {5959df60-2911-11d1-b049-0020af30269a} not registered
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {5959df60-2911-11d1-b049-0020af30269a} could be created for context 0x1
    Last edited by riffeth; March 4th, 2014 at 05:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi riffeth!

Try un-checking 'allow the window manager to control windows' option in winecfg. Off the top of my head it's under the graphics tab.

Failing that have you tried running it within a virtual desktop in wine? This can be enabled as above.

Beans

Hello Jake, and again thanks for your answer.

I've tried turning off and on both the virtual desktop and the "allow the window manager to control windows" option, but unfortunately to no avail.

Beans

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I installed HOMM3 for my girlfriend to play a couple of years ago, with the HD patch, and as far as I can remember it worked without a problem. In fact, it worked a lot better than the Linux version, which I couldn't even get to run.

I was using the CDROM version of the game, however. There might be something different with the GOG version. I would suggest you get an older copy via, ahem, alternative channels, and see if it works better for you.

Beans
    Distro

Hmm have you tried the latest version of Wine from their PPA?

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa

Edit: AbtZ might have the best soulution there! Though apparently the GOG version works fine on the WineHQ
    Last edited by Jake_Paine; March 4th, 2014 at 06:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

PlayOnlinux has a script specifically for the GOG.com version of HOMM3, and it works like a champ for me.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I too would like to propose Play on linux in this case. Play on linux is a GUI frontend for wine and often comes with various scripts and such to help you install and setup the programs. additionally you can select Wine version and install using for exampel older version if game works better in the older version.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread moved to Wine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast