Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Removing unnecessary programs, or at least disabling them

Beans

Removing unnecessary programs, or at least disabling them

I never use kmail and never plan to use it. Can I safely remove it? I tried to remove it with sudo apt-get remove; and computer became unusable... What are alternatives to uninstalling to stop those programs? Like renaming or removing associated files, or chmodding them? How can I know which program uses, edits, reads which files? When I click d to delete a file, I see a search function. Maybe it is dash program, which is called spyware by people on internet. I would certainly block this program if I knew how this could be done. ...... Another related thing is firefox. In about:config there are references to external sites like facebook, yahoo, google, , What is the point of this. Also there is reference to ubuntu. While editing those stuff not only firefox , but whole computer became unusable. I don't want any connection between unrelated programs, share data, send anything outside, either as crash report or anything else. ..These are not about me, these are general questions....Akonadi, nepomuk running many processes all the time. maybe they are just things that make computer work hard, get hot and noisy; and this also eat battery life. kwallet running al the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Removing unnecessary programs, or at least disabling them

Are you running Kubuntu or Ubuntu?
    Things to remember :
    - Use proper english
    - Comment your code
    - Keep background information and introductions to a minimum

Beans

Kubuntu; but firefox config mentions ubuntu without k. Maybe there is an installation id of *ubuntu, and it is asociated to firefox through "preferences". Btw some items in about:config are not changeable. Unchangeable preferences. Still much much better than closedsource OSs.

Beans

I haven't used KDE or Kubuntu for years, but yes you can remove end-user apps from your install. I do that sort of thing all the time. I don't know exactly how it all ties together, maybe the menu item won't go away but I'm guessing it probably will because new menu items appear when you install something.

You need to be careful, you need to look at the list of things that will ALSO be uninstalled. If you remove a library or service which a lot of other things depend on, you could have a painful time fixing it all. But something like kmail, you'll only lose kmail and maybe some sort of kmail-specific widgets or themes.

If you want to be complete about it, you can specify to completely remove it including configuration files.

If you do something like this and then change your mind, all you need to do is reinstall it.
    Help stamp out MBR partition tables. Use GPT instead!

Beans

Well in your other thread you talked about removing some kde application cleaned out half your system. So you should have learned to be careful. Yes, in general you can remove unused software but always pay attention to what else is removed along with it. For this you should use phonon instead of just "sudo apt-get remove xxx" and press "yes" because at least it prompts you several times before going ahead.

With kde you have to be particularly careful because kde's design is not modular, so there are innocent looking things that are actually a part of KDE so they cannot be removed without breaking kde. For these you'd better leave them alone as they don't usually take up a lot of space.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 4th, 2014 at 12:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A number of applications in the Ubuntu repos are compiled with Unity dependencies, as we ought to expect. Those dependencies will be required if that app is running on Unity, KDE, Gnome, etc.

When removing packages, use apt-get or Synaptic and carefully consider the list of packages that will be removed in response to your command. For large packages like KMail, which, in turn, is part of the large Kontact group, deleting it will likely result in the deletion of many packages essential to KDE's operation.

Unless you are running dramtically short of disk space, there no harm in letting unused packages sit on the drive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've removed kmail from Kubuntu in the past, I don't recall it harming anything, or removing anything other than the kmail package itself. I also disable the akonadi server because I don't use kontact or any similar software (see http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Disa...nadi_subsystem). Nepomuk can be be disabled in System Settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dunno if it was Kubuntu or elsewhere, but I've seen attempts to remove KMail try to remove the rest of KDE's PIM programs, MySQL, etc. Depends, I'm sure, in how the dependencies are set up.

Installing a group like kde-full or kubuntu-desktop does seem to have the counterintuitive effect of creating dependency links with previously installed packages, so trying to remove the newly installed KDE pacakges needs to done with care, if it all.

I've never really understood the impulse to delete unused packages when disk space is not an issue. Often seems more trouble that it's worth.

Beans

So add mysql back if you need it.

The way the package manager works, you install the app you want and the package manager installs the dependencies if they're not already there. It marks the main thing you installed as "wanted" and the rest is just there because something depends on it.

If Kmail needs mysql and nothing else does, then when you remove kmail there are some circumstances where mysql would go away too, but not if you explicitly install it.
    Help stamp out MBR partition tables. Use GPT instead!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

On a clean install of kubuntu, the 1st thing I do is:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge kontact kmail ktorrent rekonq
    It doesn't compromise the rest of the system at all.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast