Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone suggest a good version of Ubuntu required for 32 bit Pentium 4 desktop?

Beans

Can anyone suggest a good version of Ubuntu required for 32 bit Pentium 4 desktop?

Hi,
    The title says it.
    I installed a legally purchased copy of XP Pro on my friend's desktop when the HD was destroyed (it had had Vista on it,) only to discover Microsoft tried to charge me $99 to activate it!
    So in about a month my friend is going to have a crippled copy of XP Pro running.
    Hence the need.
    He is a casual user: football scores, online radio, online backgammon, that kinda stuff.
    Thanks Guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can anyone suggest a good version of Ubuntu required for 32 bit Pentium 4 desktop

From Ask Ubuntu: "Lubuntu is a lightweight distribution based on Ubuntu. It and the default applications included use minimal resources. As of the 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" release, Lubuntu is an official Ubuntu derivative. Lubuntu uses the Openbox window manager."
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can anyone suggest a good version of Ubuntu required for 32 bit Pentium 4 desktop

Pentium 4 gives us very little to go on.
    I have a machine running normal Ubuntu that has a pentium 4.
    So in that regard, Anything else you can tell us about the machine?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!

... XP reaches end of life in April: no more security updates.

I think Lubuntu 13.10 is a good candidate unless the graphics card creates problems. In that case some flavour or re-spin of Ubuntu version 12.04 LTS with long time support is a suitable candidate. It also helps if you can specify the amount of RAM.

See the first post and the last few posts of this link for more details
    Old hardware brought back to life

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Xubuntu has a LTS version that can be upgraded every 2 years vs Lubuntu 9 month cycle and uses less resources that Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have been really fired up about this Ubunto Percise Pangolin program that I just got loaded. This computere also had vista and when i tried to update the SP it crashed and the OS was gone. So. I would put Ubunto on.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Xubuntu should run fine on that machine. If it had Vista at some point, you probably don't need to bother installing Lubuntu (unless you prefer LXDE to Xfce) as it should have more than sufficient specs to run Xubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

As your computer previously had vista installed it should run ubuntu,kubuntu,xbuntu perfectly well ubuntu might lag a little a unity can be a little resource heavy on older systems. I would recommend downloading a copy of all the buntu's and have a play about with them in a live session to find which version performs best on your system,which you prefer and then install your preferred version.

Beans

Thanks that gives me plenty of options.
    As I say my friend is a light user, so doesn't want anything fancy or complicated. It must just work hassle free.
    As far as the PC goes, I only know it has a 116 Gb hard drive, 3 Gb RAM and some kind of Pentium 4 but I can find exactly which Pentium in a day or so. It also has a basic graphics card, probably 256 Mb at a guess. again I can find out in a day or two.
    (It also has a video capture card, but he has never used it to my knowledge, and under XP Pro it is disabled due to lack of an appropriate driver.)
    This is probably only a short term solution, since he may be buying a new system in a few months time.
    Good news that Ubuntu 12.04 will work with a Pentium 4- I haver used this OS in the past and know it is reliable.
    Last edited by mindzeebeez-b; March 6th, 2014 at 03:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

With those specs, he can even run the latest version of Uubuntu without much problem.
    But as he has a Pentium 4, try Xubuntu(personal experience).

Also, consider Elementary OS. It's light-weight, user-friendly and a derivative of Ubuntu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast