Thread: 14.04 alpha and beta

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

14.04 alpha and beta

Some quick questions about upgrading:

1. What terminal command will print the current version and release of Ubuntu 14.04, giving the alpha or beta numbers?

2. If the release is updated on schedule (using the Software Updater), will the alpha release installed become the beta release when the beta is released?

3. Will the final beta release become the LTS through (only) installing updates through the Software Updater?

Thanks.

~George

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 14.04 alpha and beta

Question 1 - I do not know the answer to that. I am sure some other forum user will provide the answer soon.

Question 2 and 3 - Keeping up with the updates will progress your install through all the phases to the final OS when it is released next month. I should note that there are many who advocate a fresh install with the final release to eliminate any possibility of problems from residual junk that may exist from the updates.
    David D.
    Ubuntu 17.04 64-bit on HP Envy 17

Beans

The closest thing I'm aware of only tells you whether you're on a development release or not:
    Code:
    lsb_release -a
    Keep in mind that the main Ubuntu flavor does not do alpha or beta 1 releases anymore (only final beta and release candidate).
    What would happen if your hard disk died right now?

Beans
    Distro

Thanks! I see the 14.04 release schedule Here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseSchedule

My question, stated another way, is this - if I do nothing more than install the updates that come in the Software Updater, will I have the Final Release installed on my computer on April 17th? I installed the alpha release a while ago.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by geomcd1949 View Post
    My question, stated another way, is this - if I do nothing more than install the updates that come in the Software Updater, will I have the Final Release installed on my computer on April 17th?
    Yes
    What would happen if your hard disk died right now?

Beans
    Hidden!

If things go well, yes, but it might break seriously at some update/upgrade, and you have to restart from a 'daily build' iso file some days after that crash. You find the daily builds here:

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...nes/308/builds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just a note about the alpha and beta releases, these are both just a snapshot of the repository at release time, if you choose to update after installing, you will get new packages almost immediately. That's why we don't see any Ubuntu alpha or beta releases.