Thread: Blender lagging

Hybrid View

Beans

Blender lagging

I have a HP G62-34OUS notebook and have recently installed Ubuntu 12.04 on it. Everything's working fine- except for the fact that one program (Blender) sometimes lags a little. After a little research, I have found that maybe I need to install a proprietry driver. If I do need to, then it doesn't show up in the Additional Drivers Menu. Please help me!

This is what I get when I enter:
    lspci -nn | grep VGA
    I get:
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250] [1002:9712]

And when I enter
    lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3
    I get:
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250] [1002:9712]
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:1444]
    Kernel driver in use: radeon
    Kernel modules: radeon

Do I need to do anything to get my graphics card working? Or is it already working? How do I tell?

Sorry for the questions. I don't really know what I'm doing with Ubuntu.

PS. I am fully aware that the problem could be in blender. Thanks.
    Last edited by jechadwell99; March 3rd, 2014 at 04:36 AM. Reason: More info

Beans

Re: Do I need to install a driver for this?

You already have a suitable Open Source driver (radeon) installed and working. If the "Additional Driver" menu doesn't show any proprietary driver available, then there is probably none available for this card (it seems an old one).

You may try to search AMD/ATI website to see if they offer linux driver for this card, and if you find any, report back with its link and someone should be able to suggest whether you should go for it or not. Although as far as I know, AMD dropped support for many of their older cards, probably that's why you don't get any offer from "Additional Drivers" menu.

If there is no proprietary driver available (usually "fglrx"), there is probably nothing you can do about it.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Do I need to install a driver for this?

Sorry, but AMD dropped fglrx driver support for your card a while back. The default Radeon drivers that work on it now are the ones you have already installed.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.