Thread: Need portfolio feedback

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Need portfolio feedback

I've put up a portfolio so would be keen in hearing some opinions from people who don't know me.
    I will use the portfolio when looking for internships/work in Computer Science.

Some of my questions:
    1. What's the first impression you get about me?
    2. Do I sound/look too dorky?
    3. Do I sound/look too arrogant?
    4. Is my description(About me) too cliché? Something I should change?
    5. Could this portfolio be presented to any kind of organization/company?
    6. Could I use a link to this website instead of a CV?

Ofcourse you can point out whatever comes to you. I just wrote some questions to give an idea
    of what I am wondering about. All criticism is good so hit me ruthlessly

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Need portfolio feedback!

Portfolios are an interesting way of presenting oneself. One section I find missing here, in particular if you intend to use it for jobs applications, are your degrees and when you got them.
    I'm not that fond of the personality stuff as 1- it can evolve and 2- you are not going to expose your bad sides
    Personality tests are to be run from the organisation that will hire you. If they differ from what you said, then ..
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

With your skilz, I would recruit you on my next cave adventure. Your profile is interesting, but I think it appeals to your generation. The folks looking to hire you would probably not understand the Magic character traits that you possess. So, I would focus on recent projects that you have worked on. Your graphics work is interesting and I would highlight that. I would not include the personality traits (as suggested by bapoumba) because you don't want to limit your opportunities. Just as you would not take a photograph of yourself with a green light--it makes the skin tones look sickly. And speaking of photos, you should include one of yourself instead of a robot head. They are hiring a person not an Android.

If you want to get noticed, put together a coherent blog. Here's one that is particularly good: http://princessleia.com/journal/
    Last edited by tgalati4; March 1st, 2014 at 11:02 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Haven't seen such nice page for ages. Well done!
    The only thing I would change is that bars values. It's nice to promote yourself, but I think those bars are kinda unrealistic. It looks like you are Superman not human acording to those values.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beautiful website IMO.

Consider adding a "blog" tab where you can summarize some details about some projects you worked on. Emphasize any teamwork you did, deadlines, roadblocks and how you surmounted them, etc. Seems obvious to develop unique themes for each blog post to highlight the skills you're discussing.

+1 to dropping the personality section.

I like the robot head. Don't replace it unless you do Calvin Klein modeling on the side. I'm hesitant to use my photo for prospective employers because people tend to pre-judge based on your looks. If you exclude your photo then they're forced to draw conclusions on your work alone, which is preferable to me.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    If you want to get noticed, put together a coherent blog. Here's one that is particularly good: http://princessleia.com/journal/
    Actually I do include my blog. It's the wordpress icon on the left of the screen. Maybe I should make it more visible somehow.

As about the android photo, I use it mostly to avoid prejudice just as pointed out by bashiergui. Actually it's me in the photo, it's just edited a "bit".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Pithikos View Post
    Actually I do include my blog. It's the wordpress icon on the left of the screen. Maybe I should make it more visible somehow.
    I think most of us missed the blog, and it would probably behoove you to assume future employers are as non-observant as us Leave the wordpress icon, then add a link to it on an extra tab or something.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Need portfolio feedback

Nice site.

I am pro stating your personality traits. It shows that you have nothing to hide and that you know that personality is an important part of fitting to a workplace.

It's fine with a little humour like setting all the scales close to 100 % with a few notable exceptions.

Good luck with the job hunt.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes, I missed the blog. But I did go through the various demos. They are impressive. I would include a half-tone of your face as an overlay to your Android drawing. That would at least give it some human quailities. That also conveys the message that you are bridging the human-to-machine gap. A lot of your demos involve interfaces--graphics, gui's, user-interface tools. That seems to be a strength in your portfolio and something that needs to be highlighted in your objective statement--which is missing.

Describe your ideal job and how you would fill it. That becomes your Objective Statement and it should be front and center. Your background and skills would come after that.
    Last edited by tgalati4; March 4th, 2014 at 12:58 AM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I think the info you have on there is great though I'd say its almost too much info. It's always good to big yourself up and come across assertive - i.e I can accomplish the task (without sounding like a ****!) which you've done really well!

The only criticism as such I have is the design side of things. I'm a front-end and back-end dev by trade too and granted design isn't our strongest point as we're coders not designers but maybe something a bit lighter and more minimal would suite the style of sites that are pushing the standards forward currently. Keep it looking and feeling fresh!

I'll link you my portfolio in a message if you would like to take a look and see what I mean