Thread: Blank screen after Grub bootloader

Beans

Blank screen after Grub bootloader

Hi, guys. I just installed Ubuntu on a new hard drive and not the one that has Windows 7 on it. Anyways I installed it and got the cool Grub bootloader and chose Ubuntu to load for the first time. It went smooth until i installed video card drivers which required me to restart. After the reboot, and choosing Ubuntu to load from the Grub boot menu, the screen is just blank. Help please

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Blank screen after Grub bootloader

Please finish your first thread by stating what you did and marking the thread 'solved'.

After that: Which screen card and which drivers?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

At the Grub boot menu we can chose Recovery Mode. How we get to recovery mode will depend upon what version of Ubuntu we are using. You see Ubuntu 12.04 is different in this respect from Ubuntu 13.10.

But at the Recovery menu we can select Resume and that will load or try to load to a desktop without using the proprietary video driver. Then when we get to the desktop we can use Additional Drivers to experiment with video drivers. We should get an offer of about 5 drivers including Nouveau, the open source video driver.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Nouveau is a driver for Nvidia. If the card is AMD / Intel / something else this driver does not come into play.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Do you get a text based login screen if you press <CTRL>+<ALT>+F1 or <CTRL>+<ALT>+F2?

If so, login, tail out /var/log/syslog and see if there is a /home/username/.x* file(s)?