Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to install Wine and Skype in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Is it possible to install Wine and Skype in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit?

I've been trying since January 6th without success, so it has been suggested to me that I should ask whether anyone has actually succeeded in installing them in that environment.

Anyone had any luck?
    I have a Toshiba Satellite C50D laptop with 3.4 GB of RAM and (AMD E1-1200 APU @ 1.4 GHz with Radeon HD Graphics) x 2 processor; (older posts refer to 8.04, 9.10, 12.04 on this or other hardware).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is it possible to install Wine and Skype in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit?

Isn't Skype available on Linux? Or are you telling me that you can't install both?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nunecas123 View Post
    Or are you telling me that you can't install both?
    I can't install Wine and I can't keep Skype installed, although both are supposed to be available. See
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2203319 and
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2208041
    if you want the latest details.

I gather you don't have Skype installed?
    I have a Toshiba Satellite C50D laptop with 3.4 GB of RAM and (AMD E1-1200 APU @ 1.4 GHz with Radeon HD Graphics) x 2 processor; (older posts refer to 8.04, 9.10, 12.04 on this or other hardware).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Software Centre>Search for and install Skype. You don't need to manually compile or install anything.

If you have been installing Skype via Software Centre, what seems to be the problem? Specifically and with an exact description of what happens.

Always try with Software Centre first.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    What seems to be the problem? Specifically and with an exact description of what happens.
    Details on this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2203319

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have installed Skype. I cannot remember what version of Ubuntu I had it on, 12.04 or earlier. I have also installed wine, on 12.04 and on Trusty Tahr. I use the Software Centre.

I also think that it is better to fresh install rather than upgrade. Anyway, I think that things like Skype should be uninstalled before the upgrade is activated. Then they can be re-installed with a version packaged for 12.04 or whatever version we have upgraded to.

The developers cannot take into account the need to upgrade proprietary software like Skype. Ubuntu 12.04 had vastly different libraries to the ones in your previous version of Ubuntu. 14.04 will have different libraries to 12.04. I am not surprised that the upgrade broke Skype.

Applications installed through the Software Centre are packaged for that version of Ubuntu. The installation brings in all the libraries that the application depends on.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!

Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I have installed Skype. I cannot remember what version of Ubuntu I had it on, 12.04 or earlier. I have also installed wine, on 12.04 and on Trusty Tahr. I use the Software Centre.
    Thanks for the info. Do you remember whether it was a 64 bit machine?

I also think that it is better to fresh install rather than upgrade. Anyway, I think that things like Skype should be uninstalled before the upgrade is activated. Then they can be re-installed with a version packaged for 12.04 or whatever version we have upgraded to.
    I think you are right, although in my case this was a first install of Ubuntu on the machine and I tried to install Skype and Wine afterwards.

The developers cannot take into account the need to upgrade proprietary software like Skype. Ubuntu 12.04 had vastly different libraries to the ones in your previous version of Ubuntu. 14.04 will have different libraries to 12.04. I am not surprised that the upgrade broke Skype.

Applications installed through the Software Centre are packaged for that version of Ubuntu. The installation brings in all the libraries that the application depends on.
    With the default repository settings, I couldn't find Skype on the Ubuntu Software Centre (see attachment), so it got it from skype.com (see next reply).

Ubuntu Software Centre wouldn't install Wine, so I went to try with apt-get. The problem with USC is that you don't get much info about the problems encountered.

Of course, it is possible that if I tried to install Wine as the first thing I did after an install, it might work.

Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by raja.genupula View Post
    Yes, I did that. I chose the option "Ubuntu 12.04 (multiarch)".
    That gave me a file called "skype-ubuntu-precise_4.2.0.13-1_i386.deb"
    I installed that by right-clicking on the file and chosing the option "Open with Ubuntu Software Centre".

Skype worked for a while but then apt-get decided to remove some essential i386 libraries.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by desconocido View Post
    Of course, it is possible that if I tried to install Wine as the first thing I did after an install, it might work.
    Well, I tried a re-install. I tried Wine as the first thing and it installed.

Then I tried Skype. Even with the "Canonical Partners" box ticked, Ubuntu Software Centre couldn't find Skype (see attachment).

I tried to install it by right-clicking on the file "skype-ubuntu-precise_4.2.0.13-1_i386.deb" and chosing the option "Open with Ubuntu Software Centre".
    That didn't work (although it has done earlier this year): (see other attachment).

To parody Morecombe and Wise, I have installed all the right packages, just maybe not in the right order.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast