Thread: Unable to install GRUB on software RAID

Beans

Unable to install GRUB on software RAID

Hi All,

I'm absolutely new to Linux, trying to install Ubuntu 13.10 from a CD onto a Dell Dimension 9200 to replace Windows XP. Everything goes fine until I get a message saying "Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda: Executing 'grub-install/dev/sda' failed. This is a fatal error."

I've tried installing GRUB on each of the other alternatives it then offers, with no success. I've tried Boot-repair, which makes some changes (http://paste.ubuntu.com/6993506 & 6993758) but still leaves the machine unable to boot. And running ls /dev/m* from the terminal window left me no wiser about where to install the GRUB.

I've got no need to keep a dual boot with Windows, as I'm trying to convert to Ubuntu. I think the problem may be that the hard disk is actually two 149 GB drives configured as a RAID0 with fakeRAID or software RAID (most likely the latter if I understand correctly, but I'm not even sure how to tell reliably). If it is, I know there are many posts about this type of thing, but the problem is that they don't all seem to agree and most of them suggest solutions I simply have no idea how to do yet.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks a lot, Nick

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unable to install GRUB on software RAID

Can you undo the raid?