Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox and Chromium ..... both are getting bloated

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Firefox and Chromium ..... both are getting bloated

Hi,

I assembled my PC in 2010. Since then I have tried most of the DEs. All used to run quite fast but now the latest version of KDE runs too slow so use MATE and sometimes XFCE. Both performs well.

The issue is Firefox takes a long time to launch and if I multi task with FF and Chromium the system becomes very slow.

If FF and Chromium keeps getting resource hungry like this I will have to look for alternatives soon.

I know there are other open source browsers and I have tried them but none of are as nice as FF.

I am not a fan of Chromium. I use it coz I have 2 facebook accounts.

Its tough to beat FF's superiority for 2 reasons, a) security (which is further enhanced with addons like noscript, adblockplus, etc) and b)tons of highly useful addons.

I wanna ask ask guys who have similar specs like mine. What's your plan ? Is upgrading the only solution ?

Athlon 64X2 5600+ Ram: 2GB
    Ubuntu Zesty Zapus
    free
    showing high ram usage ? Read this
    When people say "you've changed " there's a 95% chance that you just stopped acting the way they wanted you to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Firefox and Chromium ..... both are getting bloated

Since you have 2GB of RAM, try setting up firefox to use a RAM disk. Or buy a faster spinning disk or SSD. Yes, the browsers are getting fat, but that is because the plug-in frameworks have gotten bigger, tab containers and multi-threading add to the bloat, not to mention html5 engine.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Try
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

@tgalati4 Thanks lot for the suggestion. I just configured both FF and Chromium to use ramdisk and they are running quite faster in comparison.

@SurfaceUnits Sorry .... what are you suggesting ? You want me to install the Firefox OS on desktop ?
    Ubuntu Zesty Zapus
    free
    When people say "you've changed " there's a 95% chance that you just stopped acting the way they wanted you to.

Beans

Not sure if both are getting bloated or your machine is getting old. Can't help it, it rhymes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Not sure if both are getting bloated or your machine is getting old. Can't help it, it rhymes.
    My hardware is definitely getting old but the fact is the specs are not decreasing by any chance. So by that logic I guess the browsers are demanding more resources than they used to.

BTW its not only the browsers. I was facing issues while using Chromium, FF and Thunderbird. I found a easy workaround by switching to Clawsmail.
    Ubuntu Zesty Zapus
    free

Beans

You can try midori, it's not my favorite browser but it's a bit lighter. There are a few other "minimalist" browsers out there that might perform a bit better, like jumanji, uzbl, luakit, or conkeror. Ultimately they all depend on either webkit or gecko to render pages, though; so I don't know how much faster they'll be.

Honestly I think part of the problem is that "web browsing" isn't what it used to be. There's more and more JS, more images, more video, more webGL. Remember when blinking text was a cool feature? Maybe you don't...

Beans

midori is light but many sites don't show properly, at least when I tried it a year ago, now it may have improved. How about Opera? I used it a bit but stopped around Ubuntu 11.04 when it became very buggy, it may have improved now too.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I suggest increasing the physical memory from 2 GB to 4-8 GB. If you have an empty slot that supports 4 GB, I would buy a single 4 GB stick and expand the memory to 6 GB overall.

Software developers, especially developers of large, multi-platform applications, seem intent on eating up all the memory available to them as technologies decline in price.

Because Linux uses nearly all unallocated memory as a dynamic disk cache, expanding memory provides two distinct benefits -- more room for the applications themselves, and faster disk access via the cache. Applications that write large temporary files to disk especially benefit from caching. Using lsof, this instance of Firefox has opened about 50 files in my home directory; the separate plug-in container task owns a few more. If I watch a Flash video, that number increases substantially.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; February 25th, 2014 at 08:28 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Adding 2-4 gigs of RAM would probably pay dividends.

Midori is the default browser in Elementary OS. The folks over there might have posted some useful advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast