Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to recover mistake in synaptic package manager?

Beans

Re: How to recover mistake in synaptic package manager?

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    Synaptic has an "Undo" option under the Edit menu, although I've never had need to use it myself so I can't tell you how reliable it may be.
    I think that is just for undoing the selection before clicking "Apply", it doesn't reverse actions that have already been carried out. What is done is done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The man page is mainly for terminal use, but worth looking getting familiar with .
    Code:
    man dpkg
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 Wily Werewolf

There is a history menu of installed packages in synaptic, its handy, but lets say I choose to install 15 packages I would really enjoy having an option to click in the history and say "roll back" what I did that day.

I also found a command line tool called "Snapper" from LAS they point to it at min~52, see http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/3...ay-aas-s27e03/
    anyone tried that tool?

Beans

Essentially, you are asking for tools to protect you from making mistakes. Such tools are always limited and fallible.

You may do better by learning the basic apt and dpkg toolset
    I find managing packages to be very easy using those tools.

Know how to backup and restore your package settings using dpkg.
    Know how to backup and restore your data.
    Then almost any damage you do will be trivial to fix.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zircon_34 View Post

I also found a command line tool called "Snapper" from LAS they point to it at min~52, see http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/3...ay-aas-s27e03/
    anyone tried that tool?
    Never heard of it before, it sounds interesting. But I think it is primarily designed and tested for SUSE. Support for ext4 is only 'experimental' and requires special kernel and something called e2fsprogs (no idea what it is), so it sounds too much trouble to be worthwhile. It would be interesting to play with it on a test installation(I have one ) but I wouldn't count on it.
    http://snapper.io/faq.html

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by r.stiltskin View Post
    But it seems that in recent years the desktop managers fight with each other for control of the desktop and change various settings that can be hard to restore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    It seems that Unity and xfce are quite OK, they don't really bite each other. I have them both installed, although in practice I only use xfce. Other combinations may be less fortunate.
    Just a cautionary tale - I have Ubuntu and Xfce both installed but had Nautilus and Thunar battling it out awhile back. Nautilus was winning until I got some help from the community.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by zircon_34 View Post
    Good comments,

to Impavidus: this is something I was looking for, I will have to read a little about that, do you generally use these commands before installing a set of new packages?
    No.

Beans

Something that I have found recently is Timeshift - it backs up only the system files though

http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html

( keep data / docs / photos on a separate partition and this could be a very useful tool to have on any Linux system )

http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html

I have tried it out - and this is the thing with most backups - you only try them when things go wrong - well this worked
    for me and I was happy it was there.

But it has some limitations and some small flaws - these I will explain.

The amount of room for a backup - is often estimated short by around 3 gig ...... ( so on a system that is say 20 gig in size )
    You would need a backup area of 23 gig plus leaving space to work in - at least another 10 gig.

Total would be in the region of ( 20 gig + 23 gig + 10 gig ) just as a rough finger in the air for normal use with data files
    and documents being in a separate safe partition.

It will overwrite all of the partition you restore it to ...... which should usually only be the one you have backed up.

( but if you have a clean partition with room to spare - you can keep a duplicate system running by doing the backup to it
    you need to know what you are doing when using this - it needs to be on something like a external hard drive )

But it is maybe worth having a look at - and while people are learning and only have small OS's its a good thing to have
    as a restore tool ....... just thought I would mention it - as I have found its quite a nice thing to have on my own system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12