Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: desktops etc.

Beans

desktops etc.

Hi there somebody, I had the latest version of Ubuntu put onto my computer some weeks ago & it isn't working well at all. Things like putting 4 desktops on only to find now it has decided to put 7 desktops on & heaps of other annoying things too many to put here , Is there help?? Can I get rid of this version & go back to some sort of sanity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: desktops etc.

Hi.

Unfortunately we neither have a crystal ball nor remote vision. Without info on exactly what are complaining about I won't even dare to guess.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

First, can you tell me where to go to find the version of Ubuntu I have please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Things like putting 4 desktops on only to find now it has decided to put 7 desktops on
    Can you give a better description of what this means. Additional desktops or window managers would have to be installed manually and if you didn't install anything then there must be another explanation. The work space switcher offers 4 different work-spaces and looks like the picture below is this what you are seeing? Please indicate what Ubuntu version is installed because there are four. Ubuntu , Kubuntu , Xubuntu and Lubuntu.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Ubuntu 13.04

Beans

Do you have an amd card? It seems that this may be graphic card related. I have an installation of Ubuntu 13.10 on an external drive which I can boot off different machines. I have set 4 desktops in ccsm. However when I booted it off a lenovo T500(?) briefly it showed 6 and only two worked even though the ccsm settings still showed 4. Tried it on other machines and this didn't happen. The Lenovo has an Amd graphic card but I can't remember which one (I use the open driver obviously as this is a portable installation)

Beans

I have been asked by you to be more spacific, I understand that & I am doing my best to help. but in turn can I explain that I know absoutely nothing about the workings of a computer, so MonkeybrainI am sorry but that is all gobbledegoop to me....

Beans

Open a terminal and type
    Code:
    lshw -C display
    and post the outputs

P.S Ubuntu 13.04 has reached end of life in jan, it is no longer supported so you should backup your data make a clean install of 13.10.

Beans

Re : desktops etc.

Ok... a few of the things are
    My desktop files have all vanished & I have to go to 'Home Folder' which is a button on the left of the screen to access these. When there I can't even put them on the desktop from this folder.
    With this forum, in the past, your answers would come up by itself, now I have to reload the browser..

Code:
    lshw -C display
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
      *-display UNCLAIMED     
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: RS780L [Radeon 3000]
           vendor: Hynix Semiconductor (Hyundai Electronics)
           physical id: 5
           bus info: pci@0000:01:05.0
           version: 00
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: vga_controller cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:ee00(size=256) memory:fdff0000-fdffffff memory:fde00000-fdefffff
    WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
    Any help??

This I posted to you but I don't see it anywhere, so forgive me if you got it twice...

Code:
    lshw -C display
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
      *-display UNCLAIMED     
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: RS780L [Radeon 3000]
           vendor: Hynix Semiconductor (Hyundai Electronics)
           physical id: 5
           bus info: pci@0000:01:05.0
           version: 00
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: vga_controller cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:ee00(size=256) memory:fdff0000-fdffffff memory:fde00000-fdefffff
    WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
    Last edited by howefield; February 23rd, 2014 at 11:50 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast