Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo L7320: an Ubuntu's problematic installation

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo L7320: an Ubuntu's problematic installation

The One Button Installer can create dual boot (and multiple boot) if you wish. But the 9w installer cannot.

Anyway, in both cases it can be nice to try systems running in a USB pendrive. If you want a fast system, I suggest that you read the following links. Notice that I have not found any really fast 8 GB pendrive, while there are several reasonable fast 16 GB and 32 GB pendrives.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...#Prerequisites

Link to USB 2 and USB 3 speed tests for installers

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi to Everybody!

This week I'll buy a 16GB USB pendrive since there is a strong discount in a famous store (9,90€).

But now I have also a good news for all the Amilo L7320 owners: now I'm running from a week a stable version of Lubuntu 14.04!!

Good graphics, high speed, no freezes etc, although it has been not so smooth to install it... the installation presented several problems, and the only thing that doesn't work very well is Grub (the new version), that freezes and you have to manage it a little when you turn on the pc.... but once you have passed it, Lubuntu 14.04 gives a powerful higher gear to this problematic computer...

It can even play Youtube videos as it has never been before!! All the things have been very smooth until now, I'll continue to use it in order to confirm this very (but very) good feeling!

In the next days, with more time, I will deepen this point and anyway I will test OBI....

Beans
    Distro

Well, now I describe how I've installed Lubuntu 14.04 on Amilo L7320.

First of all, after having (obviously) downloaded the daily builds, I've used an USB pendrive to install it (with Unetbootin).

Here there is the first problem: the pointer during the installation is only a little point that you have to "search for" on the screen; you will see a bad graphic made by alternated red and blue stripes. Do not let that demoralize you!! The difficult thing is to identify where is the pointer in order to advance during the installation, but if you look in the screen with a lot of attention, you can identify it. Once you can manage this (you will see a little brighter point: that is the pointer!!), you can do the installation without other particular problems.

Ok, when you have finished this part, you are ready for rebooting. If you have (like me) other OSs installed (in my case: Windows XP + Bodhi Linux + Xubuntu 12.04 + Lubuntu 14.04), you will see the Grub menu: it will seem freezed, but if you keep the arrow keys pressed, the menu "will come to life": be fast to choose your choice, otherwise it will block itself.... but in this case just press (for a while) and the menu will become available again.

At this point, go to edit the loading option of Lubuntu (pressing the letter 'e' on Lubuntu 14.04, in my case the first option on Grub): here you need to insert 'nomodeset' as described here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    Follow the guide to set permanently this, it's not so difficult: I'm a beginner and I did it!

Once passed also this point, Lubuntu 14.04 will be loaded and - surprise!! - all will be ok: no more strange things, no more freezes, only a normal, fast and -above all - working system! Your Amilo L7320 has never been so fast (and furious) like now!!

Yesterday "System Updates" has stopped to work (I've started a bug on Launchpad), but you can update via terminal with the usual 'sudo apt-get upgrade' etc. and in this way it will work without any problem.

Since the Amilo's screen is quite good, also in comparison with newer computers, I've used it to see some DVDs and Youtube's videos: this computer has never been so good!

I suppose that the OBI method should permit to avoid the problematic part of installation, so be patient and I'll try also this way...

Beans
    Hidden!

Great work

You are no longer a beginner

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Great work

You are no longer a beginner
    +1

Beans
    Distro

Thank you sudodus and kansanoob!! But I'm still too slow and not so efficient...

Today I've bought the USB pendrive: 16GB from TDK at 9,90€ (in speciale offer): it's not so bad, isn't it?

So, I'm (almost) ready also for the OBI experience!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stilnovo1 View Post
    Thank you sudodus and kansanoob!! But I'm still too slow and not so efficient...

Today I've bought the USB pendrive: 16GB from TDK at 9,90€ (in speciale offer): it's not so bad, isn't it?

Slow and inefficient describes me to a T

If I don't do at least ten stupid things every day it means I'm sleeping in

You're doing great

Beans
    Hidden!

I hope it's good, but I have no own experience of TDK pendrives.

Beans
    Distro

@sudodus: right this evening I've read (better: studied) again the documents about OBI you linked... the possibility to bring with you your (very) personal operating system is really fascinating, but I don't find it so easy to proceed...
    If I have correctly understood, once I've got my USB pendrive (done!), I have to choose the compressed tarball file.
    I would have chosen: LubuntuTrusty-oem-feb12.tar.xz
    What do you think? What does "feb12" mean?
    I've also thought that it would be very nice to give to my colleagues a USB pendrive with their personal OS that they can load in every computer, at home and at office: since Lubuntu 14.04 seems to work fine (apart a bug that I've inserted in Launchpad regarding System Updates) on Amilo, I could propose it as OS to use not only on this laptop but thanks to a simple 16GB USB pendrive everywhere: am I wrong?
    So, in your opinion, do you think is that a good idea (Lubuntu Trusty)?
    If so, and if I'm right, I have to:
    - download the mentioned tarball (LubuntuTrusty-oem-feb12.tar.xz)
    - to mount the USB pendrive
    - to format it (ext4? ntfs?)
    - to create the main and the swap partition
    - ok, now the doubts are increasing... help!!

Beans
    Hidden!

@sudodus: right this evening I've read (better: studied) again the documents about OBI you linked... the possibility to bring with you your (very) personal operating system is really fascinating, but I don't find it so easy to proceed...
    If I have correctly understood, once I've got my USB pendrive (done!), I have to choose the compressed tarball file.
    I would have chosen: LubuntuTrusty-oem-feb12.tar.xz
    What do you think? What does "feb12" mean?
    It was created from an installed system that was updated/upgraded to the 'daily updated status' of february 12.
    I've also thought that it would be very nice to give to my colleagues a USB pendrive with their personal OS that they can load in every computer, at home and at office: since Lubuntu 14.04 seems to work fine (apart a bug that I've inserted in Launchpad regarding System Updates) on Amilo, I could propose it as OS to use not only on this laptop but thanks to a simple 16GB USB pendrive everywhere: am I wrong?
    It is possible for most computers.

But in some special cases a general system with the free drivers will not work with the graphics or the wifi, so a proprietary driver is necessary. This can often be done after booting with the boot option nomodeset and installing the proprietary driver for that particular hardware.

And computers with UEFI instead of old style BIOS will not run 32-bit operating systems unless you switch off UEFI.
    So, in your opinion, do you think is that a good idea (Lubuntu Trusty)?
    If so, and if I'm right, I have to:
    - download the mentioned tarball (LubuntuTrusty-oem-feb12.tar.xz)
    Yes, it is worth trying.

If you have problems, wait until I have made a tarball with the final released (and maybe also debugged) version 14.04 LTS. It is a question of one or two weeks (I think and hope).
    - to mount the USB pendrive
    - to format it (ext4? ntfs?)
    - to create the main and the swap partition
    - ok, now the doubts are increasing... help!!
    You need two drives:

1. The One Button Installer should be installed into one USB pendrive

2. The target system LubuntuTrusty-oem-feb12 should be installed by the One Button Installer into another drive, which can be an internal drive or a USB drive.

-o-

It is enough to plug in the USB pendrive. It will be formatted automatically, so it is a waste of time to format it before the installation. It is easiest to run at the basic OBI level, if you want to use the whole drive (in this case the whole USB pendrive).

You can create the main and swap partition with gparted, if you are not happy with the default partitioning. In that case, run at the advanced OBI level. This is also how to make dual boot or multi boot systems.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast