Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo L7320: an Ubuntu's problematic installation

Beans

Re: Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo L7320: an Ubuntu's problematic installation

Quote Originally Posted by stilnovo1 View Post
    just tried Xubuntu 14.04 daily build: same defect....
    Yes, Ubuntu itself is borked right now, but I'm surprised you're passing the "Check disc for defects" because I'm NOT!

Development releases are always "hit or miss" when it comes to daily images but I also wonder why you had trouble with Ubuntu 12.04 and Xubuntu 12.04. Maybe if you're using a DVD drive you should try a live USB?

I'm particularly concerned because you show the discs passing while I show them failing, and I've even checked using testdrive + virtualbox so I know it's not a burn issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi! During my countless installations, I've tried both dvd and usb... I've done the check with my pendrive, that's what I've used today...

Also the check made with Xubuntu says 'ok'.

Well, Ubuntu-misteries!!!

But is there an Openchrome or a Lubuntu developer that could help us?

Beans

Hi! During my countless installations, I've tried both dvd and usb... I've done the check with my pendrive, that's what I've used today...

Also the check made with Xubuntu says 'ok'.

Well, Ubuntu-misteries!!!

But is there an Openchrome or a Lubuntu developer that could help us?
    The devs very seldom frequent the forums

But I suspect it's something specific to that laptop because we have identical graphics chips:

Mine: 1:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/P4M800 Pro/P4M800 CE/VN800 Graphics [S3 UniChrome Pro] (rev 01)
    Yours: 1:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/P4M800 Pro/P4M800 CE/VN800 Graphics [S3 UniChrome Pro] (rev 01)
    I'm out of ideas

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gajdipajti View Post
    Hello, I am a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo L7320 user too.
    Here are my findings regarding this problem:
    • only working Ubuntu version is 10.04 with kernel 2.6.32. But here you must write your own xorg.conf to correct the resolution.
    • From kernel 2.5.35 the timer problem exists (2.6.34 is ok).
    • The problem also exists on Fedora.
    I wanted to just bump this ahead as a reminder.

Of course using 10.04 isn't really a viable option

Beans
    Distro

Thanks kansansnoob anyway! Now it's something like a challenge, although I'm near hopeless....

Also from the gajdipajti's post we can deduce that there is something strange with Amilo L7320.... I see that this thread has received a quite high number of visits (by the way: I've seen that the number of views' counter of this thread is the same from some days, it seems no more updated), so maybe there are out there several persons with this problem. The hardware of this Amilo 7320 is not so bad, with XP I can do a "normal" use of it (youtube, websurfing, working issues, some games etc.), but even with Bodhi the general result is poor... in my naivety I thought that all these posts in this forum could be an occasion, a source for developers... at this time I even am not able to begin an installation with both Xubuntu 14.04 nor Lubuntu 14.04 (yes, daily buillds but...)

Last edited by stilnovo1; March 17th, 2014 at 12:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

At this point, maybe you feel like trying to install kansasnoob's Precise Gnome Classic Tweaks with the OBI?

Edit: See posts #20 and #35.
    Last edited by sudodus; March 17th, 2014 at 11:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro

@ sudodus: yes, you are right: at this point I have to try this way you suggested.
    In the next days I will read the links you provided to me; I hope this will be useful also for all the users that are reading this thread (dear readers, please: appreciate our efforts!!)
    Last edited by stilnovo1; March 17th, 2014 at 12:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi to All!

@sudodus: I've begun to read the documents about OBI, and I would have some questions:

- my graphic chipset has a bug (described by kansasnoob) in Lubuntu 13.10, so I cannot use it: have you already set up a compressed file from a recent Lubuntu Trusty daily build?

- why does my system should work after an installation via OBI, since it doesn't work with a live DE session? The loaded drivers are the same, aren't they?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: @this-thread-readers: does anybody have already tested OBI method on a Fujitsu Amilo 7320?
    Last edited by stilnovo1; March 19th, 2014 at 03:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi to All!

@sudodus: I've begun to read the documents about OBI, and I would have some questions:

- my graphic chipset has a bug (described by kansasnoob) in Lubuntu 13.10, so I cannot use it: have you already set up a compressed from a recent Lubuntu Trusty daily build?
    I suggest that you try Precise Gnome Classic Tweaks, the version without OEM, which is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS tweaked, and I think kansasnoob manages to run your kind of systems with that version and flavour of Ubuntu. The advantage for old computers and computers that might not work with standard Ubuntu is that this system will by-pass the standard installation and you will have an installed and tweaked system 'at once'.

There is also a system based on Lubuntu Core Trusty beta 1, that you can try. It might or might not work ... worth trying, but I think chances for success are smaller than with Precise Gnome Classic Tweaks. See this link (about testing the 9w installer, post #88, #89 and the following posts)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post12957586

Edit: But 9w cannot create systems with dual booting within the same drive. You can install a portable system into a USB pendrive and test it in computer that can boot from USB.

- why does my system should work after an installation via OBI, since it doesn't work with a live DE session? The loaded drivers are the same, aren't they?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: @this-thread-readers: does anybody has already tested OBi on a Fujitsu Amilo 7320?
    I don't think any flavour of 13.10 will work for you, in this case it does not help with the OBI. The drivers are the same as in the DE.
    Last edited by sudodus; March 19th, 2014 at 03:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks sudodus!!

Well, since it (the "nice" Amilo!) can boot from USB, I could buy a 8gb pendrive since I have several external hard disks but they are full of backups and if I'm right this kind of installation destroys the datas on them... am I right?

Excuse me, I have not been (Pangolin) precise!! The live DE that doesn't work (red and blue stripes) is the Lubuntu Trusty daily build that I've mentioned in post #43... the 13.10 live DE session works very well... telling the truth, all the live DE sessions I've tried (Lubuntu 13.10; Xubuntu 12.04; Ubuntu 12.04; Kubuntu 12.04) work well, the problems are during (freezings) and above all after the installation...

For these reasons I've tried also the alternative iso versions, Ubuntu's 12.04 mini-iso included!

It's a hard world!!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast