Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is gnome working now with trusty?

Beans
    Hidden!

How is gnome working now with trusty?

I use the gnome desktop on 12.04
    I read before has some trouble?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How is gnome working now with trusty?

I'm not sure which gnome you are asking about, but I have Trusty gnome-shell installed on a 16GiB usb thumb drive, I don't update it as often as I should, so when I do it usually takes about half an hour. I used it all day yesterday, after one of my hard drives crashed, trying to get a working Trusty daily iso, I even used it to create a bootable usb thumb drive about 4 times, it booted every time, but the first 3 times ubiquity crashed to the point where all I had was a black screen..

Gnome-shell itself ran great without any hiccups.

Beans

I have been doing a test with upgrading from a very early version of Ultimate 2.8 and have taken it right upto 14.04

here is a video of the Gnome Classic running in it ...... my main interest is always in 3d ........ but I still have a problem
    with something I use a lot ........ which is wings3d ( this seems to have been removed from the repos from before saucy )

Here is a video ..... but its running on a optimus laptop with a nvidia gt540m graphics card ..........

http://youtu.be/f5gFtLoLCb4

Gnome shell runs well too ........ will post a video of that soon ......... just to show it off
    also have compiz running in xfce .... but that seems a tad unstable at the moment but
    no doubt it will get sorted.

The devs are doing a great job this time and there seems to be a few choices for desktops
    hope that remains for the final release ....... so far having fun ........

Beans
    Hidden!

Great news, I expect I will upgrade this weekend then.

Beans

Not sure if its stable till April ....... would have to look up when the release date is .........

This is the video of Gnome-Shell ..... http://youtu.be/5l9tQMIPJzs

With the small problem with wings3d ...... if anyone knows how to fix the flickering that would be
    a bonus ..... but as I say its only in wings3d at the moment.

They seem to have removed wings3d from the repos ....... maybe one way of solving problems
    but not the way I would like them sorting.

Will post some more if you want ...... but the other things are compiz and enlightenment
    just check my You tube channel ....... as I usually add things there if I get problems or success

I like this new version ....... first time my graphics have worked something like on this optimus
    machine too ........ but had to do a little work to sort it out.

Beans
    Distro

It may depend on your hardware. I have 2 installs of 14.04 running - 1 homebuilt AMD based MoBo with Nvidia 210 video and a Thinkpad T61 w/Intel video. The desktop is running quite well. The Thinkpad, usually a smooth ride with Ubuntu is having issues. I've reinstalled a couple times but I'm having problems with suspend/resume and also logging out/logging in. I get a black screen with maybe a mouse pointer but no desktop. Cold boots are usually okay though I occasionally have to reboot. I installed XFCE4 (Not XFCE-desktop) and it seems unaffected so it appears to me like a gnome-shell issue.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    It may depend on your hardware. I have 2 installs of 14.04 running - 1 homebuilt AMD based MoBo with Nvidia 210 video and a Thinkpad T61 w/Intel video. The desktop is running quite well. The Thinkpad, usually a smooth ride with Ubuntu is having issues. I've reinstalled a couple times but I'm having problems with suspend/resume and also logging out/logging in. I get a black screen with maybe a mouse pointer but no desktop. Cold boots are usually okay though I occasionally have to reboot. I installed XFCE4 (Not XFCE-desktop) and it seems unaffected so it appears to me like a gnome-shell issue.
    +1 here

Howdy, I've been running UG 14.04 on my T61 w/Nvidia card; despite recent & hairy updates, GS is working buttery smooth. Suspend/Resume'Logout/in work fine.

The only issue I had was that I had to upgrade to Nvidia 331, the Trusty kernels didnt like 319 or 325.

However, on my UG desktop, I must reconfigure my dual-monitor setup each reboot. I dont know why the monitor config file resets each reboot. Everything else is working beautifully.

Peace.
    Ubuntu +1 (Trusty Tahr)

Beans

Must admit that the storing of the screen configs dual screen seems to get lost each time I restart too
    gets a tad annoying - setting it up each time ............... http://youtu.be/7PlKDCXBFsE

Almost as if the config file is not being used after the initial change or something else keeps over riding our choices.

I got to the stage of getting the lxde xrandr script and putting it into the ~/.config/autostart/

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Name=LXRandR autostart
    Comment=Start xrandr with settings done in LXRandR
    Exec=xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1280x720 --rate 60.0 --output LVDS1 --mode 1366x768 --rate 60.0
    OnlyShowIn=LXDE
    but its not a pretty way of doing things and it takes extra time for the computer setting it up.
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; February 22nd, 2014 at 07:01 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    I use the gnome desktop on 12.04
    I read before has some trouble?
    Much more info is needed to give an accurate answer

Which GNOME DE are you using in Precise?

The default GNOME DE is now gnome-shell but there are alternative GNOME DE's:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2184682

What trouble have you read about

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Much more info is needed to give an accurate answer

Which GNOME DE are you using in Precise?

The default GNOME DE is now gnome-shell but there are alternative GNOME DE's:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2184682

What trouble have you read about
    I think gnome 3.6?
    I use gnome shell

Regarding troubles recalling some posts from a couple months ago gnome shell not working in trusty.
    Things change, so checked in to see what's up.
    I am doing the upgrade right now.

12.04 is wearing thin, I am having some issues, like desktop crashes with serious error, vlc not playing smooth due to old libavcodec, and oddly takes a long long time to show the desktop, and programs take a long time to come up with the hard drive working hard. fragmented files??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast