Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody miss Windows 98 ?

Beans

Anybody miss Windows 98 ?

I had used Windows 3.1 and the early Mac OS , but Windows 95 was when I got more into computers . Windows 98 SE was my favorite though it was such a great OS . I miss the classic look of Windows 98 SE and Windows 95 anybody else feel the same ?
    Last edited by mintfan7200; February 21st, 2014 at 02:08 PM.

Beans

Re: Anybody miss Windows 98 ?

A whole library of "Looks", including some classic ones.
    http://netrunner-mag.com/whats-on-the-menu/

Beans
    Hidden!

I grew up with the command line (punched cards, punched tape, teletype terminals, 'dumb' text terminals) and I was around when the first IBM compatible computers appeared. I did not think Windows was stable until NT and not really nice until XP. But Windows 95 was a big step forward from the previous versions and 98 was even better, nice with USB, but not really stable.

I was also learning UNIX long time ago, so it was not too difficult to convert to linux.

But I can [multi]boot Windows 98 in an old IBM Thinkcentre for old PC games, some of which do not work in newer operating systems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nope, nada, nyet.

Liking the looks of the thing is subjective, but the thing was essentially a windowing systems grafted onto a version of the so-called DOS extenders so popular back then. That couldn't support the functionality of current operating systems -- any of them.

Now, if we're gonna revive something from the DOS era, let's bring back Desqview on 286 machines and do away with all those cycle-wasting graphics.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I grew up with the command line (punched cards, punched tape, teletype terminals, 'dumb' text terminals) and I was around when the first IBM compatible computers appeared. I did not think Windows was stable until NT and not really nice until XP. But Windows 95 was a big step forward from the previous versions and 98 was even better, nice with USB, but not really stable.

I was also learning UNIX long time ago, so it was not too difficult to convert to linux.

But I can [multi]boot Windows 98 in an old IBM Thinkcentre for old PC games, some of which do not work in newer operating systems
    Now you are a true oldschool computer user , very interesting indeed . Punched cards I have heard of them how did you use them back then or how did they work ? You wrote programs or commands with them right ?
    Last edited by mintfan7200; February 21st, 2014 at 03:14 PM.

Beans

Anybody know of any Windows 98 or Windows 95 themes for xfce ? It would be cool to have my os looking like Windows 98 or Windows 95 .

Beans

No, not a chance. Are you serious?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mintfan7200 View Post
    Anybody know of any Windows 98 or Windows 95 themes for xfce ? It would be cool to have my os looking like Windows 98 or Windows 95 .
    I am sure there are, but 'cool' is not the word I would use. I know a guy running Mandrake (?) with the Trinity DE (kde3), it is an abomination. You may like the look and feel of it.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; February 21st, 2014 at 03:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

The punched cards were used when I learned Algol (a programming language similar to C) at college. It did not make me happy, I hated the long waiting time between each attempt to run between the debugging sessions

Punched cards had 80 positions. Each card represented a text line with max 80 characters (of programming code or input data) and they were stacked in card readers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mintfan7200 View Post
    Now you are a true oldschool computer user , very interesting indeed . Punched cards I have heard of them how did you use them back then or how did they work ? You wrote programs or commands with them right ?
    Here's an example of a "card deck" to copy a file (the equivalent of using the "cp" command"):

Code:
    //jobname  JOB
    //*--------------------------------------------------------------------*
    //* IEBGENER: JCL to copy one file to another file on DASD volume
    //*--------------------------------------------------------------------*
    //COPYF  EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
    //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
    //SYSUT1   DD DSN=input_file_name,DISP=SHR
    //SYSUT2   DD DSN=output_file_name,DISP=(,CATLG),
    //            VOL=SER=volser,
    //            SPACE=(TRK,(xx,xx),RLSE)
    //SYSIN    DD DUMMY
    //SYSUDUMP DD SYSOUT=*
    //*
    IEBGENER - the name of the stored procedure
    JCL - Job Control Language
    DASD - Direct Access Storage Device, aka disk drive (but in those days they were the size of small refrigerators)

I've read that the Linux "dd" command gets its name from the JCL DD (Data Definition) command, which it resembles.
    Last edited by Dave_L; February 21st, 2014 at 05:03 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast