Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Anybody miss Windows 98 ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Anybody miss Windows 98 ?

I get nostalgic for my very first computer, a 486 from Packard Bell. It had a front-end for Windows 3.1 called Packard Bell Navigator that was mostly for computer noobs. Much more user friendly than Windows 3.1 with clearly defined software sections and big colorful buttons.

Man that computer, I don't know what it cost my parents. I just remember a whole box of software CDs, a huge packet of manuals, full trimmings (monitor, keyboard, mouse, even a mousepad!). You literally got everything for a complete system, including most of the software you would ever need, in one go around. A shame they don't sell computers like that anymore. Even bigger shame we don't have the system anymore (my dad gave it to my brother after we got our Windows 98 machine). It was fun to muck around in.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Anybody miss Windows 98 ?

The only thing I miss about W98 is the Big Ben intro sound. And for 95 I miss the nature theme and the sf theme (with matching mouse cursors.)
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I'll tell you what I don't miss about Windows 98... the pain in the ass it was! lol Oh yeah .. at first .. the razzle and the dazzle .. then the malware , then McAffee, Norton, Comodo Firewall and a plethora of other crapware that evolved along with it. Good riddance Windows 98. You will infect PCs no more.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Not the operating system itself but it was the OS that powered the PC I used to connect to broadband internet from our home. So the associated memories can make me feel somewhat nostalgic. At that time I just used the computer and didn't really think about operating systems in general (sometimes I also miss that mindset).

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mintfan7200 View Post
    I had used Windows 3.1 and the early Mac OS , but Windows 95 was when I got more into computers . Windows 98 SE was my favorite though it was such a great OS . I miss the classic look of Windows 98 SE and Windows 95 anybody else feel the same ?
    No I do not miss Windows 98... but I do miss being that young.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Anybody miss Windows 98 ?

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    No I do not miss Windows 98... but I do miss being that young.
    You got that right!
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mintfan7200 View Post
    I had used Windows 3.1 and the early Mac OS , but Windows 95 was when I got more into computers . Windows 98 SE was my favorite though it was such a great OS . I miss the classic look of Windows 98 SE and Windows 95 anybody else feel the same ?
    Windows 98 SE was my very first OS ever. Brings back memories...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think if people today wold have to choose between today linux and then Windows 98, 90% would choose linux, I am convinced So we are moving forward

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456