Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will XFCE continue to be supported ?

Beans

Will XFCE continue to be supported ?

I like XFCE a lot , but my question is will XFCE still be able to run on the new versions of ubuntu , mint or will they some how end support for it in the future because of Gnome , KDE , Unity ? The reason I ask is because I really like ubuntu but I like a classic desktop that is fast .
    Last edited by mintfan7200; February 20th, 2014 at 10:58 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Will XFCE continue to be supported ?

Xubuntu with XFCE is preparing right now for the next long time support version Trusty Tahr, to become 14.04 LTS in April. I think Xubuntu and XFCE are healthy projects.

But most linux projects depend of volunteers, and there is no promise beyond this next long time support version. Your contribution might make a difference

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mintfan7200 View Post
    end support for it in the future because of Gnome , KDE , Unity ? .
    why would it end ebcause of that? i can imagine other reaosn but not because of other desktop interfaces.

Unity is a shell/Layer for Gnome. Gnome and KDE have been arroudn for a while now.

XFCE is younger desktop i believe. LXDE is even younger.

there are many desktops and windows managers out there. many are in active development.

for example have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop..._Window_System
    and here for some short comparisson: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...p_environments
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post

XFCE is younger desktop i believe.
    XFCE has been around since 1996, the same time as KDE and longer than GNOME. It just never got much hype.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Last year I tested a Xubuntu ISO image that installed with Xmir instead of Xserver. There were not any problems. I do not see Ubuntu switching to MIR for 14.10/15.04 as presenting technical issues for Xubuntu developers. It will be their decision whether to make the switch or not. And Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will be running on Xserver anyway.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Truth be told I think XFCE actually gained many users over the last couple years since the advent of Gnome3 & Unity. I can't see it going anywhere.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Truth be told I think XFCE actually gained many users over the last couple years since the advent of Gnome3 & Unity. I can't see it going anywhere.
    Maybe so , I think unity is great for new linux users, but I prefer a classic desktop . It would be cool if Ubuntu would give you a option to choose which desktop environment to use when you install . I know a lot of other Linux Distros give you a option to choose from when installing . I think Ubuntu users would like that as a option as well .
    Last edited by mintfan7200; February 21st, 2014 at 11:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    It will likely win more once XP is out of the picture.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Hidden!

Maybe so , I think unity is great for new linux users, but I prefer a classic desktop . It would be cool if Ubuntu would give you a option to choose which desktop environment to use when you install . I know a lot of other Linux Distros give you a option to choose from . I think Ubuntu users wouldl like that as a option .
    There is Xubuntu with XFCE within the Ubuntu family

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Maybe so , I think unity is great for new linux users, but I prefer a classic desktop . It would be cool if Ubuntu would give you a option to choose which desktop environment to use when you install . I know a lot of other Linux Distros give you a option to choose from when installing . I think Ubuntu users would like that as a option as well .
    You do have the choice, just use your favourite installation method, you can install as many DE's as you can find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast