Thread: Another cifs problem

Beans

Another cifs problem

Setup is Ubuntu 13.10 64 bit trying to mount an external disk on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. Both machines have fixed IP addresses on the 192.168.1 net.

This command works ok:

sudo mount -t cifs -o sec=ntlmssp,username=Monica,password=<password>,do main=workgroup,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_m ode=0777 //192.168.1.102/Seagate /media/james

This shows up as james in Nautilus, but I would like to have it show up as Seagate in Nautilus. /media/james should be the mount point but I can live with it showing up as james.

However, we don't use passwords on the home network, so I have taken away the temporary password I gave my wife on her machine (the windows box) and replaced password=<password> with password=''. Now I get the infamous Error 115 and the remote drive does not mount.

Can someone please suggest a command line which will mount the remote disk without a password, and preferably so that it shows up in Nautilus as Seagate. I've tried a lot of different varieties of the mount command, without success, and I can't find an answer with a search of this forum.

I do have a suspicion that it won't work without a password, and wonder if someone alternatively can confirm that, and possibly find a workaround.

Beans

Re: Another cifs problem

Never mind. Fixed it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus