Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu won`t load, not enough hard drive space

Beans

Lubuntu won`t load, not enough hard drive space

Hi Guys, Have been running Lubuntu on an older Pentium 4 for about the last year...worked great. Yesterday, I tried to update and got a "Not enough hard drive space" message. So, I ran Bleachbit think I might be able to find some space, but while program was running, computer totally locks up. I have to shut off power to get it unfroze. Now, when I try to start up, It gets to a initial "Lubuntu" screen, then flickers and disappears. That`s it...nothing more. Any ideas what I might try to get things back up? Any suggestions appreciated...Cheers!

Beans

Re: Lubuntu won`t load...

Quote Originally Posted by Klunker View Post
    Hi Guys, Have been running Lubuntu on an older Pentium 4 for about the last year...worked great. Yesterday, I tried to update and got a "Not enough hard drive space" message. So, I ran Bleachbit think I might be able to find some space, but while program was running, computer totally locks up. I have to shut off power to get it unfroze. Now, when I try to start up, It gets to a initial "Lubuntu" screen, then flickers and disappears. That`s it...nothing more. Any ideas what I might try to get things back up? Any suggestions appreciated...Cheers!
    How to install the Boot-Repair tool in an Ubuntu live disc?

http://askubuntu.com/questions/22606...untu-live-disc

Beans

Hi, Thanks for your help. I tried to access the live USB, but get a "Searching for Boot Record" message and that`s it, nothing more....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Klunker View Post
    Hi, Thanks for your help. I tried to access the live USB, but get a "Searching for Boot Record" message and that`s it, nothing more....
    Try deselecting the boot options, or maybe there is a setting in the BIOS preventing booting from a USB ...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/15284...12-04-live-usb

ps: 64 bit Ubuntu won't boot from a USB, has to be 32 bit .. I think ?
    Last edited by pacman7de; February 20th, 2014 at 05:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The computer boots, so Boot-Repair is irrelevant here.

Klunker, are you able to get to the Grub menu and select Recovery Mode?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Lubuntu won`t load, not enough hard drive space

You could free some (?: a LOT of !!) space using sudo apt-get clean and sudo apt-get autoremove, and in synaptic removing all kernel images and header files except the last two or so. When you don't do so habitually in the long run a small harddisk may get so full that there is no room left to work in.

Topsiho

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    The computer boots, so Boot-Repair is irrelevant here.

Klunker, are you able to get to the Grub menu and select Recovery Mode?

Hi, Nope, everything disappears at the first Lubuntu screen and there`s no response after that...

Beans

"Try deselecting the boot options, or maybe there is a setting in the BIOS preventing booting from a USB ...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/15284...12-04-live-usb"

Thanks, tried every Bios setting and nothing else happens.
    Last edited by Klunker; February 20th, 2014 at 07:36 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The Grub boot menu appears before the Lubuntu screen when there is more than one OS on the machine. Otherwise to see the Grub menu when hold down the right shift key.

Depending on the version of Lubuntu that you are using you could see Recovery Mode at the first Grub screen or it could be under the Advanced Options for Ubuntu/Lubuntu sub-menu.

The Recovery menu has an option of Clean. That will run apt-get clean for you. Then try Resume to boot to a desktop. Do you have a separate /boot partition? How large is the hard disk? Have you emptied the Rubbish Bin recently?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    The Grub boot menu appears before the Lubuntu screen when there is more than one OS on the machine. Otherwise to see the Grub menu when hold down the right shift key.

Depending on the version of Lubuntu that you are using you could see Recovery Mode at the first Grub screen or it could be under the Advanced Options for Ubuntu/Lubuntu sub-menu.

The Recovery menu has an option of Clean. That will run apt-get clean for you. Then try Resume to boot to a desktop. Do you have a separate /boot partition? How large is the hard disk? Have you emptied the Rubbish Bin recently?

Regards.
    Thanks so much for helping! It`s a 40 gig HD, no partition. There`s only Lubuntu on the system, so I used the right shift and got it to the Grub. I tried the clean option, check files, and repair but it still will not boot to desktop. Just hangs at the Lubuntu screen...flickers...then nothing. Anything else I can try?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast