Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommend a simple backup solution?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Recommend a simple backup solution?

! I'm unaware of any backup software that will take files out of the trash!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You have a lot of opinions in this thread for sure. I've tried a number of backup solutions, however what I've found for me is that in many cases its easy to backup, however you only know how good your backups are when you have to restore something. In some cases I thought I was making a backup, but then couldn't restore anything. What a shame.

I'd hands down recommend a rsync backup. It's not the most sexy, however its very reliable. I'd also combine this possibly with sshfs if need be -- although you could use nfs, or samba as an alternative depending on the platforms your have. You could run your rsync script to backup a folder tree, although if something were created outside this folder tree, it wouldn't be included. The rsync script could be run manually or automatically as suggested above via use of a cron job. I usually rsync over ssh, however this requires you know how to setup an ssh server -- which isn't very hard but is a learning curve if you have never done it before. Topics such a firewalls or access control lists usually appear when talking about running servers, so perhaps this might not be where you want to start.

You should probably provide more details about your individual configurations. That way this general discussion could become a lot more focused.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    ! I'm unaware of any backup software that will take files out of the trash!
    Ah, you misunderstand - I wasn't expecting deja-dupe to restore the files from trash.

Those three files were initially in my /home/documents and home/pictures folders, which are part of my scheduled deja-dupe backup.

I then moved them - it happened to be to trash, it could equally have been to anywhere.

Deja-dupe correctly identified that they were missing (ie it identified they had formed part of the backup, and that it should have them stored at my backup location), but it then only managed to restore one of them, and said it couldn't find the other two.

What was weird was that for the two files that it failed to restore, what it did was create a new empty folder with original file names (but note that these had been files, not folders).

I will switch to a backup solution that doesn't used compressed archives, and so is easier to manually inspect for success.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    ... you only know how good your backups are when you have to restore something.
    Tell it like it is.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123