Thread: How to gather more information on a freeze problem?

Beans

How to gather more information on a freeze problem?

I want to know how to proceed to gather the info required to report a bug when my system is frozen. Sometimes when I reboot my notebook, when the GUI is still loading, the system freezes (there is screen corruption and basically there's nothing left to do other than rebooting the computer and praying it will be able to get through the GUI loading next time...).

The thing is, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to find the info required for a thorough bug report if I was able to run some commands while the computer was on this state like dmesg, apport or avivotool (or any other useful command I'm able to find on the forums). But how can I do that if the system is frozen?? I tried Ctrl+alt+f1 to get to a virtual console without any success.

Many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to gather more information on a freeze problem?

Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Thanks a lot, deadflowr. In fact, that's where I came from... I was just wondering if there was something I wasn't seeing beforing immersing into ssh tutorials.
    I guess not... I'll have to study how to access my machine remotely using ssh. It seems the only way.
    Oh god, this is giving a huge headache. At least I'm learning a bunch of new stuff I guess.
    Thanks one more time!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It helps to know which version of Ubuntu you are using?

Sometimes a simple kernel issue is what causes problems.
    By design, Ubuntu lets you boot into an older kernel from the boot menu.

If the older kernel did not cause issues, then you can keep loading into that one until any problems you have can be address by the developers.

On another note, if the system freezes, try the R_E_I_S_U_B method to power down and restart.
    (hold down the alt shift and prtscrn button at the same time, and slowly type out reisub(busier backwards) one button at a time, taking a few seconds between keys)
    It's pain to execute, but when done right works as expected.
    It's the safest way, more so than a hard reset(ie unplugging the machine, pressing the off button)
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

you don't need to use ssh to get your dmesg.
    you have 2 option
    1. boot into single mode and run the commands that you need to run (http://askubuntu.com/questions/13296...mode-from-grub)
    or
    2. use a live cd , chroot your partition and run your commands from there ( https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?t..._from_a_LiveCD)

ps: did you tryu first booting into an older kernel from grub?
    also check if you have nomodeset into your default kernel http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    Last edited by fdrake; February 18th, 2014 at 11:20 PM.

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans

Talking Re: How to gather more information on a freeze problem?

Many thanks!!!!

Thanks a lot for the info! This will definitely be very useful! Both of you!

And nope, I haven't tried any of that yet! I didn't even know about those stuff before your response, except for the Reisub thing I've read on another thread, but had no idea of how to execute. Thank you!
    This is actually the first real response I've got in a week! Thank you!

I'll try those things and as soon as I get some results I'll let you know!
    XD

oh
    Btw, I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. It's up-to-date.
    Last edited by Caio_Martins; February 18th, 2014 at 11:30 PM.

Beans

Right, guys.

First thing I tried was booting into an older kernel, but still I've got the same screen corruption I get with the newer version of the kernel (the freeze didn't occur both times I've tried though, but, again, that was probably just luck).
    Then I tried nomodeset on my default kernel many times. I was able to get a non corrupted loading screen but GUI didn't load up. Instead I got the tty1 screen (is that what I was supposed to get?). Anyways I logged on and saved a dmesg on txt file and tried to load X but wasn't succesful. Each time I tried all I got were error messages.
    Finally, I gave the single mode run a couple of shots. I saved a dmesg on a txt file each time.

I didn't try the chroot method yet. I'll try that one later.

I really appreciate your help. It's been invaluable. Now, maybe, I think I have enough to report the issue with my graphic card properly. I think it's probably got something to do with the fglrx driver. Maybe my video card isn't fully supported yet, I don't know (that's just guessing).
    I think this solves my initial question.
    Again, thanks for your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

you r welcome. Hopefully we can fix the issue by havving a look at the dmesg file

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!