I'm having an awful time installing a French verb conjugation application named Le Conjuguer (http://leconjugueur.lefigaro.fr/uktelechargelinux.php). I use it on my Lenovo laptop with Kubuntu 13.10. On that laptop I had originally installed Kubuntu 13.04 and later upgraded. When it was still 13.04 I installed Le Conjuguer and had some troubles getting it to run, which I documented in case I ever needed to install it again. It's been running flawlessly on my Lenovo for months. On my Asus netbook that I just bought, the debian package installed, but the application won't run.

According to my notes:

Le Conjuguer is a 32-bit program. If your Linux distro is 64-bit, you need this package for it to run:
ia32-libs-multiarch

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
When I try to run that, I get a message saying the package has been obseleted, but that …
However the following packages replace it:
lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0
So I installed those in Synaptic, but LC still won't run. Annoying. I had documented exactly what worked last time to get the thing to run, but that failed. I googled around to learn that others have been having the same problem. Turns out in Ubuntu/Kubuntu 13.10 they've dropped support for that package those tree new packages that replace it don't run LC. Frustrating.

I thought I found the solution here:
http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/ia32-libs-in-ubuntu-13-10

It suggests:

Install Synaptic from terminal window
1. sudo apt-get install synaptic
2. Launch synaptic and goto “settings > Repositories”
3. click “other software > add”
4. insert this line in the box "deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring main restricted universe multiverse"
5. click ok and close synaptic
6. in terminal “sudo apt-get update”
7. in terminal “sudo apt-get install ia32-libs”
I did that, but when I try to do the last step, installing ia32-libs in the terminal, I get the same message about it being obsoleted and replaced by "lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0".

On another page, someone suggested recompiling the program so that it's dependent on the current 32-bit files, not the old one. However, I find no source code on LC's site.

But obviously this thing is running on my Lenovo laptop. It's also a Kubuntu 13.10 computer, the difference being that it started as 13.04 and this problem was solved back when it was the older Kubuntu.

I nearly istalled the 32-bit version of Kubuntu onto this netbook. It's only got 2 GB of RAM, which cannot be upgraded, and therefore doesn't need the 64-bit version. However, I chose the 64-bit version because I want to run FreeFileSync. That program only has a 64-bit version.

I've done what I know to do and I've searched the net and tried what I've found, but I'm hitting a brick wall. It's time to reach out for help. What can I do to get this thing to run? Can I somehow take the needed packages from my Lenovo and transfer them over?

Le Conjuguer is a far better program than the French verb conjugator available in the repositories (Verbiste).

Ideas?