Thread: TRUSTY Alpha2 - has anyone struggled with & overcome top panel Gnome?

Beans

TRUSTY Alpha2 - has anyone struggled with & overcome top panel Gnome?

I'm running Trusty 14.04 on Pentium D (2 CPUs) and 384MB Ram, installed from the ISO downloaded 5 days ago. While I like the speed and the install has been durable, I still don't like Unity's demand for multiple mouse clicks just to get to an app. I prefer the Gnome Top Panel with the 10-12 most-often used icons readily vailable.

So far, no update, security or otherwise, has enabled the top panel in the Gnome emulation to respond to a right-click holding Windows-alt keys, the way life used to be.

I realize I am teetering on the bleeding edge, and all should be made right by mid-April 2014. But I would like to get on with the work for which I use this computer daily.

Anyone who cares to comment, on- or -off topic, about Trusty will be welcome.

BTW, I don't understand why the name-change to TRUSTY-GNOME when it ain't Gnome!

Beans

Re: TRUSTY Alpha2 - has anyone struggled with & overcome top panel Gnome?

Thread moved to the "Ubuntu+1" forum.

Just to clarify, are you running Unity or Gnome as your desktop environment ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fibricola View Post
    I'm running Trusty 14.04 on Pentium D (2 CPUs) and 384MB Ram, installed from the ISO downloaded 5 days ago. While I like the speed and the install has been durable, I still don't like Unity's demand for multiple mouse clicks just to get to an app. I prefer the Gnome Top Panel with the 10-12 most-often used icons readily vailable.

So far, no update, security or otherwise, has enabled the top panel in the Gnome emulation to respond to a right-click holding Windows-alt keys, the way life used to be.

I realize I am teetering on the bleeding edge, and all should be made right by mid-April 2014. But I would like to get on with the work for which I use this computer daily.

Anyone who cares to comment, on- or -off topic, about Trusty will be welcome.

BTW, I don't understand why the name-change to TRUSTY-GNOME when it ain't Gnome!
    The default GNOME desktop environment is now gnome-shell:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeShell/Tour

It sounds like you may want "flashback":

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2184682

Did you install Ubuntu or Ubuntu GNOME?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Are you aware that you add and remove icons from the unity launcher? (which is a dock) you just right click to remove or add (while the app is launched of course)....
    Then you set up your favorite and most used apps right on the launcher (for easy and quick 1 click access)...and for lesser used ones then you can use the dash search to bring them up...
    So i don't get why you would need to be making so many mouse clicks...

You can also autohide the launcher, adjust the sensitivity and even make the icons smaller (i do myself...about 38 pixels...which makes it easier to load on lots of icon launchers)...
    Last edited by craig10x; February 16th, 2014 at 12:51 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Are you aware that you add and remove icons from the unity launcher? (which is a dock) you just right click to remove or add (while the app is launched of course)....
    Then you set up your favorite and most used apps right on the launcher (for easy and quick 1 click access)...and for lesser used ones then you can use the dash search to bring them up...
    So i don't get why you would need to be making so many mouse clicks...

You can also autohide the launcher, adjust the sensitivity and even make the icons smaller (i do myself...about 38 pixels...which makes it easier to load on lots of icon launchers)...
    No need to start a pro-Unity vs anti-Unity debate here

Let's just wait for the OP to define what he means by "top panel"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@kansasnoob: no problem
    Just wanted to clarify for him in case he is talking about unity desktop...hopefully, he will explain what he is referring to...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    @kansasnoob: no problem
    Just wanted to clarify for him in case he is talking about unity desktop...hopefully, he will explain what he is referring to...
    The OP needs to redefine this statement: