Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How is it Ubuntu never really gets any easier to use?

Beans

How is it Ubuntu never really gets any easier to use?

I have been rooting for Ubuntu and Linux for years. And every 1-2 years I download it to see if it's finally ready for prime time. I often try to set up a dual boot with Windows, which used to be really easy 5 years ago. Or was it 8? Now? Not so much. It all depends on the roll of the dice.

Alas, Ubuntu, NEVER quite seems to work in a way that will allow me to discard Windows for good. Even the initial set up and hard drive partitioning was filled with bugs and opportunities for disaster, which I found easier to set up--years ago. And my sense is that it will not change--on purpose. Let's admit it; it's not made to be easy-to-use. It's made to differentiate Ubuntu users from other users or from Windows or to take the dreaded Apple smarminess to another realm of condescension, if that were at all possible. But if you're claiming to provide a user-friendly OS, then let the execution match the goal or just go off and focus on server systems and applications.

Whether it's installing peripherals or setting up a screen saver, nothing is ever really that easy, accessible or convenient. Sure I don't mind a little command line from time to time, much less effort; I mean, what do you want for nothing? But don't force me to go back to school and get a degree in computer science just to be able to function half as well as windows, or to install a Bluetooth mouse that works more than 75% of the time. And that's the thing; you have computer science experts that take days to sort through very simple problems. However bad or annoying Windows is, that's almost never the case. It's generally easy to use and everything can be figured out quickly and painlessly (well, maybe not Win 8.1). And therein lies all the difference; the fact that everything in Ubuntu takes forever to sort out, and is almost impossible without spending hours in this or that user forum. It's

Example: I just tried to install Gparted Partition Editor. Should be easy as pie right? Wrong. I got an authentication error that requires I stick my fist up my **** to figure it out. And then I'm told I don't have the privilege of sticking my own fist in my own ****.

Similarly, In attempting to set up a dual boot the other day--which never quite worked and took hours to repair--I came across dozens of technical users who had spent days on the problem. Not hours, which is bad enough, but DAYS. And if it's not a simple dual boot it's installing peripherals. If it's not that, it's something else. Like, above, just installing something they say can be installed. And again, keep in mind that this is coming from a semi-technical person who WANTS to use it and like it and never use Windows again. And it's the reason why, after more than ten years of trying, I can't. I just don't have the time or energy.

Sure folks, I may be missing the point; it may be that this IS the way it's supposed to be to weed out non-technical troglodytes like myself (sneer); or because it's almost as fun as slamming your **** in the door; or because there are obvious limitations in terms of human or financial capital to work on an open source solution. But it is also the case, or might be the case, that a little more targeted effort at user-ability and adaptability could finally get Ubuntu into more regular use.

Thanks for listening.

J

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How is it Ubuntu never really gets any easier to use?

Not a support request - moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jabeles View Post
    Example: I just tried to install Gparted Partition Editor. Should be easy as pie right? Wrong. I got an authentication error that requires I stick my fist up my **** to figure it out. And then I'm told I don't have the privilege of sticking my own fist in my own ****.
    Strange. You forgot your password?
    My experience with Linux distributions is that they are getting better and better, to the point you really have to ask what Windows has to offer that's better - and then you end up with a custom application or a game as an answer.
    In my experience, I'd rather use an application as Virtualbox or VMWare under Windows to surf with a Linux distribution like Ubuntu. I feel a lot safer.
    And to come back to the GParted: who needs that for normal use? What is your problem with LibreOffice or Firefox?

Beans

You joined on December 24th, 2005 and this is your first post.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    Question: How is it Ubuntu never really gets any easier to use?

Answer: Because it isn't easy to make an OS designed for African School Children much more easier.
    Last edited by rrnbtter; February 15th, 2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spellin

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Deleted, decided not to feed the troll.
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; March 4th, 2014 at 11:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

1. How can you be a member for 9 years and yet have no previous posts?

2. Dual-booting on machines with pre-installed Windows can be problematic precisely because Microsoft wants it to be. Installing Ubuntu by itself is a piece of cake.

3. You provide no specifics about your hardware, your software, your problems.

4. By your own admission, you seldom use Ubuntu. And, then, only in a deliberate effort to look for problems. Perhaps I am too cynical, but this sounds like a purposeful setup for a driveby slam.

5. I am not a Windows user. Haven't been for more than 10 years. But, I did buy a laptop last year that came with Windows 8. So, I used it for a few days. Ignoring the infamously schizoid interface, the font rendering was unusable. Broken. Drivers for the Nvidia GPU did not work, booting to a blank screen. Apps I use daily in Linux were not available. Neither were any equivalents. After a failed reinstall, I found that, unlike the Linux kernel, the Windows kernel did not provide drivers for most of the laptop's internal peripherals. I had to boot a live Linux image, go to the mnfr's site, download drivers, burn them to a USB stick, and then do another Windows install.

So, I remain a firm Windows skeptic.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Welcome to the forums

And I hope you plan on posting back this decade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I guess my experience with Ubuntu and Windows has been the exact opposite of yours. More than once this week I've wished and even googled to see if there was a way to use ALSA in windows. As I've always been told mileage may vary but for me Ubuntu passed Windows and OSX on usability about 5 years ago and just keeps getting better.
    zealibib slaughter is a dwarven paladin of ill temperment played by a fat man of jolly temperment.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

And every 1-2 years I download it to see if it's finally ready for prime time.
    That says it all. I got as far as that comment and I stopped reading. I have been using Ubuntu since 2007. And it has most definitely got easier to use. There is something that has also definitely got harder but I would not blame the Ubuntu developers or the other developers of open source software.

Installation has become more complicated and for some harder. And who shares the responsibility for that fact. I say thank you to all the developers for working hard to make it possible to install Linux to the latest hardware. Without their hard work and skill Linux would have ceased to be used.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast