Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to identify a particular device on a lan

Beans

How to identify a particular device on a lan

nmap will give you a list of all devices connected to your lan, but the information provided falls short of a way to tell which device is which.

Is there a way to ping (or another command) each listed IP# and get back information that will reveal this?
    I'm am old guy, but still tryin'. Your patience appreciated.

Beans

Re: How to identify a particular device on a lan

What information are you looking for exactly? nmap will *try* to probe for OS information if run with the -A switch e.g. something like

Code:
    sudo nmap -A -T4 192.168.1.0/24
    Alternatively you can probe and list services if that helps

Beans

Yes, that is the code which I used and it shows 17 devices. I want to figure out what each of them are.
    I have the IP#'s of all the computers and the AIO, but things like the TV or the Roku or a Satellite box etc are not as easy to find, and if I can do so from one of the computers, ideally quickly, that is what I want to use.

Beans

Well what attribute do you expect to distinguish them by? If there are particular services running on one machine versus the others you could do a port scan and decide based on open ports/services

OTOH if you are just trying to find hosts by (.local) name then you could try the avahi tools (avahi-discover / avahi-browse ?)

Beans

Not sure I understand your question. I want to know what each device is. If for no other reason, I want to know if there is anything (anyone) on my lan that I don't want on there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Normally you would install an identifer service on each machine then run an application that talks to that service and you will get back very detailed information. Landscape is such a service.

tgalati4@Mint14-Extensa ~ $ apt-cache search landscape
    landscape-client - The Landscape administration system client
    landscape-client-ui - The Landscape administration system client - UI configuration
    landscape-client-ui-install - The Landscape administration system client - UI installer

Since you can't run Landscape on your Roku, you have to be clever. Many streaming devices have uPnP or DNLA and there are tools to query those:

tgalati4@Mint14-Extensa ~ $ apt-cache search dlna
    gir1.2-gupnp-dlna-1.0 - transitional dummy package
    gir1.2-gupnpdlna-1.0 - GObject introspection data for the DLNA utility library for GUPnP
    gupnp-dlna-tools - GObject-based library for GUPnP DLNA (tools)
    libdlna-dev - development files for libdlna
    libdlna0 - DLNA codec library
    libgupnp-dlna-1.0-2 - DLNA utility library for GUPnP
    libgupnp-dlna-1.0-dbg - DLNA utility library for GUPnP (debug symbols)
    libgupnp-dlna-1.0-dev - DLNA utility library for GUPnP (development files)
    libgupnp-dlna-doc - DLNA utility library for GUPnP (documentation)
    librygel-core-1.0-0 - GNOME UPnP/DLNA services - core library
    librygel-renderer-1.0-0 - GNOME UPnP/DLNA services - renderer library
    librygel-server-1.0-0 - GNOME UPnP/DLNA services - server library
    minidlna - lightweight DLNA/UPnP-AV server targeted at embedded systems
    rygel - GNOME UPnP/DLNA services
    rygel-1.0-dev - GNOME UPnP/DLNA services - plugin development files
    rygel-dbg - GNOME UPnP/DLNA services
    rygel-gst-launch - GNOME UPnP/DLNA services - gst-launch plugin
    rygel-mediathek - GNOME UPnP/DLNA services - Mediathek plugin
    rygel-playbin - GNOME UPnP/DLNA services - GStreamer Media Renderer plugin
    rygel-preferences - GNOME UPnP/DLNA services - preferences tool
    rygel-tracker - GNOME UPnP/DLNA services - Tracker plugin
    upnp-inspector - Python UPnP framework analyser

For other devices like routers and IP video cameras, you need to know what ports are used to communicate (left open) and ping those with the port switch.

A simple way to enforce your network is to use MAC filtering on your router and put together a MAC list for each device. Then, any device not on the list won't get access. It's easy to spoof a MAC address, but it will keep the casual dingleberries off of your network.
    Last edited by tgalati4; February 15th, 2014 at 10:01 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

tgalati4, this is to say thanks, but I fear that it mostly went over my head (beginner and all, you understand).

I will wait awhile to see if anything else, but may restart this in the network forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sorry, I only speak geek. Read this post in a year.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey1942 View Post
    ...I fear that it mostly went over my head (beginner and all, you understand).
    If you don't understand then I would suggest that you take a manual inventory of the assets you placed (and manage) in the network. If you know the IP address, MAC address and hostname of all of those, any others would be an intruder. You can run nmap in a GUI environment. It's called zenmap. You might try running a quick search to locate the various hosts and the above data.

I will wait awhile to see if anything else, but may restart this in the network forum.
    Don't repost this anywhere else in the forum. There is no need to duplicate the post. Just click on the "Report Abuse" icon at the lower left and ask the forum moderators to move this thread to where you want it.
    -BAB1

Beans

Bab. Thanks for yours, and the tip on zenmap which I installed and ran. It gives more info than the nmap command in the terminal did.

However, what I am trying to achieve and am rapidly concluding (since no one seems to offer a solution) that one cannot achieve, is to use the lan to gather the information that you are suggesting that I gather manually. I recognize that I can walk around, make a list of all connected devices and ATTEMPT to determine the IP# etc, but this is a very time consuming exercise since it is usually not quickly evident what the IP# is (must get out manuals, etc). Doable, yes but time consuming, yes.

So I was hoping that my computer could be used to do the walking for me, and do it quickly. Looks like that was a vain hope.

BTW, was not thinking of double posting, rather moving as you suggest. That is what I meant by "restart" but perhaps an unfortunate choice of words.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast