Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: multiple problems with Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: multiple problems with Ubuntu

Buzzingrobot

As I've stated above, I'm not trying to deal with the individual problems because there are too many. It's not my system as I'm getting problems with both desktop and laptop and have used assorted installs from assorted sources. Can't find a common denominator other than Ubuntu.

The object of the post was to try to find out why a previously excellent operating system has, since 10.04, started giving all these problems and to, perhaps, influence the developers to stop what appears to be a mad rush forward without sufficient tetsing & proving of the new systems.

I really don't want to leave Ubuntu and lose the excellent support for individual problems from the forums but, as I've said, I need to use the system not spend hours trying to resolve individual problems.
    Desktop - P4 3.2GHz 800 FSB, Asus P5L-VM1394, 1G DDR2, 1T SATA HDD + 500G SATA HDD
    Laptop - Acer Aspire 7730 Intel Centrino2
    Samsung Galaxy Ace Android

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: multiple problems with Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by beansdad View Post
    The object of the post was to try to find out why a previously excellent operating system has, since 10.04, started giving all these problems and to, perhaps, influence the developers to stop what appears to be a mad rush forward without sufficient tetsing & proving of the new systems.
    You have described problems I haven't had with Ubuntu, or any other Linux distribution, on a variety of hardware.

If your printer/scanner requires a proprietary driver from HP -- and many do -- it will not work in in Ubuntu and any other Linux I am aware of until you install that driver. Perhaps 3 or 4 years ago Ubuntu packaged that driver. But, Ubuntu packages no proprietary HP drivers now.

I can only suggest you look for solutions that are specific to your hardware and your environment, because i suspect that's the problem. (I'd also suggest increasing RAM, because 1G is very marginal these days. I have Firefox, Thunderbird and an RSS reader open on 13.10 and current RAM use is 1.2 gigs.

To reiterate something said earlier, developers do not frequent this site. It's pretty much SOP that developers do not frequent any *user* forums.

If you would open separate threads with specifics about each of your problems, people here are likely to address them. Absent that, there's little useful to be done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy Re: multiple problems with Ubuntu

Yes, it does appear that I've been unfortueate enough to have these problems with multiple versions of Ubuntu from multiple sources and on both my desktop and my laptop. Tried installing drivers from HP 7 whereas Fedora and other distros recognise my scanner on my HP multifunction device Ubuntu does not. Nor does Ubuntu switch audio output from speaker to earphones when these are plugged in. Etc, etc, etc.

If I had nothing else to do I would work through each and every problem one at a time but I have to earn a living in the meantime. As I've stated above, I do not see how it can be my hardware as I have similar problems on desktop and laptop both running with 2GB memory (I believe can't update my profile until I have enough beans).

Reading through lots of other threads on the forums I get the impression that I'm not alone in having some of these problems and some don't seem to be curable.

Wish I knew what the problem was which is why I started this thread. Alas, it seems to come back to solving each and every individual problem until the next update/new distro resets everything back and then go through the whole process again.

Going to mark this as "Solved" now as there is no resolution to the multiple problems situation other than to find a different version of Linux that does work. Mint isn't so bad, Fedora seems more stable but slower, waiting for SolydXK disk to arrive to try that.

Thanks all for reading this.
    Desktop - P4 3.2GHz 800 FSB, Asus P5L-VM1394, 1G DDR2, 1T SATA HDD + 500G SATA HDD
    Laptop - Acer Aspire 7730 Intel Centrino2
    Samsung Galaxy Ace Android

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123