Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preinstalled Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Preinstalled Ubuntu

But they don't offer 14.04 at this point. It is not an option on their website. I've just been playing there and putting together a dream machine to send to Australia, and you can't get 14.04 on one. Probably because it is not released until April and they would be quite insane to sell a laptop with a testing release on it (unless specifically ordered by a dev, who would probably order one without an OS, which is also an option).

Do they have international warranty? Can't find that, but sure they'd be happy to tell me with an email.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rewyllys View Post
    ZaReason will install any Linux distro and version thereof that you tell them to install.
    They might well do - but I was responding to the OP's first post, which is not quite about what zareason might or might not do.

Of course the other thing that the OP might do is look within Europe and not just Sweden, there are some here that sell, not sure about shipping, but I would imagine it to be less than from the US.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    They might well do - but I was responding to the OP's first post, which is not quite about what zareason might or might not do.

Of course the other thing that the OP might do is look within Europe and not just Sweden, there are some here that sell, not sure about shipping, but I would imagine it to be less than from the US.
    Really who would you recommend?
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyGaijin View Post
    @mips How would I handle warranty claims if I installed Ubuntu on a Windows machine that I buy in Sweden? I'm pretty sure trying to get a manufacture to honor a warranty after I've changed the OS is nearly impossible. Am I mistaken about this?
    If that's an issue then it's not that hard to image the original drive and restore it when you send it in for a warranty claim. You could even remove the HDD drive, store it in a safe place and replace it when you need to return it. A hard drive is cheaper than shipping it across the atlantic, not to mention the time involved. Ram & hdd are user serviceable parts so changing it would not invalidate your warranty.

I'm sure you can find linux laptops in sweden or even barebones ones, clevo (system76 & sager rebrand them) for example also has barebones laptops if I'm not mistaken.

These guys do Clevo in Sweden with Ubuntu preloaded http://www.ggsdata.se/index.php?page...ntulaptops.php which is no different to System76, System76 just stick their own branding onto the Clevo laptops.
    These guys also sell Clevo http://www.mysn.eu/se/index.php

But hey at the end of the day it's your money and if you wanna buy something from a store 6000km+ away instead of locally then that is entirely up to you. Enjoy whatever you get.
    Last edited by mips; February 17th, 2014 at 07:11 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12