Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A video about Linux getting hacked ....Is this real ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

A video about Linux getting hacked ....Is this real ?

Hi,

Just found this video.

He says its a fresh installation inside a VM.

I guess he is using Xubuntu (I think its the Xubuntu logo on the start menu).

Although he doesnt demonstrate anything what he did from the remote computer but he "shows" that he manages to create and delete a file inside the Home folder.

AFAIK all ports are closed by default. What ufw does is it makes them stealth.

So I wan wondering how he managed to do what he did.

Do you think this is possible ? Or is this fake ?
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: A video about Linux getting hacked ....Is this real ?

I'm not an expert in hacking and security, but the truth is this.

There is no system in the world that is unhackable, if you have sufficient time, talent, dedication and a budget on your side.

Most consumer level security revolves around just making yourself difficult enough to hack, that those who would compromise your system instead go pick on an easier target.

Governments with national security type information, and corporations with trade secrets, etc, don't necessarily have this benefit, as their information might be valuable enough to fund a team of very talented people to go ahead and break in.

Just look at Stuxnet, and what it did to the Iranian nuclear program, a network that wasn't even connected to the outside net.

There are many people out there that are foolish and believe Linux/unix and even OS X to be unhackable or immune to viruses and malware. Nothing could be further from the truth. Every system ever made by man, regardless of operating system or running programs in vulnerable to some extent or another. its just up to us to make ourselves more difficult targets by making wise choices, and paying attention to the security of our networks, as well as looking out for social attacks. (People are usually the weakest link. It doesn't matter how secure your system is, if you can trick a person into circumventing it and giving you data)

Just some thoughts.
    I only use LTS releases, and mostly for servers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am not quite sure what you are asking.
    Are you wondering how he got it installed in a VM, and connected to it? If so, then that's what VMs are for - nothing extraodinary here.
    What exactly do you suggest that video proves?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Hacking Linux is of course possible but, without knowing what was done it's impossible to know if it's an FYI or FUD video.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Without any details it's kinda pointless debating this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    I am not quite sure what you are asking.
    Are you wondering how he got it installed in a VM, and connected to it? If so, then that's what VMs are for - nothing extraodinary here.
    What exactly do you suggest that video proves?

He specifically says that he is using a fresh installation on Linux inside a VM. Which means he has not opened any ports. Even if its inside a VM afaik one needs to open ports so that a remote PC can connect.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Hacking Linux is of course possible but, without knowing what was done it's impossible to know if it's an FYI or FUD video.
    Yes thats really frustrating. I have no interest in learning hacking but if buy a second computer I will at least once install Kali Linux and do some penetration testing of some other major Linux distros including Ubuntu and find out myself.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

He can simply put a file with mv command on the folder of /user eheh, its impossible to know if this is a real job or joke and I think honestly why the windows is on the same path at all video time ?

Its impossible know if this is a real hack method or a simply discourse about some.
    Ubuntu with me & me with Ubuntu! my GNU/Linux https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTe.../Flavitu-Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

In my opinion that video is impossible to be proven if it is legitimate. I have practise a little bit pen testing over the years and yes giving time and determination any system can be hacked. It does not matter how secure your system can be it all depend's on the knowledge of the person in front of the keyboard. But the question is is linux secure and the simple answer is yes highly secure especially for the end user who and why would someone bother to try to penetrate joe blogs's home computer it is a a lot of work for little or no gain. People who want to steal your details for financial gain would much rather just skip a computer with linux on it and concentrate on ones that take little or no effort at all therefore gaining thousand's if not ten's of thousands more details in the time it takes to gain remote access to a linux system. Bottom line no system will ever be 100% secure.

Beans

If he would have made it to the root instead of just the home directory it would have made things a little more fun.

Any system is hackable, some are just easier than others.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Without any details it's kinda pointless debating this.
    +1 to both.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast