Thread: Assign many domains to server

Beans

Assign many domains to server

hi all, i am George Catsicadellis i am new in this forum and i am a beginner in ubuntu server. i been learning alot about ubuntu by accessing the posts here. and i have successfully installed first time ever ubuntu server. and i am very happy. and i wanted to thank you to ubuntuforums community here for all the help and for all the contributions. i also have a question if you can please help me, after i install ubuntu server, how can i setup my server in such a way that i can assign many domains to server. what i dont understand is my server ip is only one, so how many domains will work. for example how can i make it like a shared server?

many thanks and kind regards,

George Catsicadellis

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Assign many domains to server

Well, your server CAN have multiple IP addresses, but this will mess with routing unless they are on different networks.
    I guess you really mean to ask about virtual hosts for web servers? These are based on the name that the client requests, not the IP. That also means that only 1 "domain" can have an SSL (HTTPS) connection. There are complex ways around this limitation, but those are dependent on the client having support or setting up a reverse proxy that feeds to many back-end web servers.

So - the way to accomplish this is through web server settings.
    Of course, the DNS names all need to point to the same IP or no clients will be directed there. It is better to pay someone else to run the DNS - DNS is hacked all the time.
    There are many, many virtualhost how-tos out there. http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...ot-ispconfig-3 is one.

What is the limit of web domains per server? Well that depends on the amount of traffic. I've seen 300 domains on a single server, but as long as the network and disks can keep up, I wouldn't worry. Whatever you do, please, please, please do NOT enable FTP. Use sftp and ssh connections.
    Last edited by TheFu; February 13th, 2014 at 05:22 PM.

Beans

First, I'd start by reading the web server section of the Server Guide. In general, you want to clone /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default and edit it to match one of your virtual hosts. Then use "a2ensite" to enable the site. (This creates a symbolic link to the file in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled.) Upon restarting Apache, you should be able to connect to http://someplace.example.com/.

For a more detailed and technical presentation, read this documentation on the Apache site itself: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/name-based.html.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; February 13th, 2014 at 05:07 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

HOST MULTIPLE WEB SITES WITH ONE PHYSICAL SERVER (one IP)

Install apache2

Code:
    sudo apt-get install apache2
    Verify that you installed apache2, open the web browser and point it to the IP address of the server.
    web browser: http://192.x.x.x

Once verified, go to the www directory and make folder for each site.
    Code:
    cd /var/www

mkdir sitea
     mkdir siteb
    Copy the html files/webpages for each site on each folder.
    Be sure that each folder contains the web files and index.html for each

Make a log directory for each

mkdir /var/www/logs

Edit the apache2 defaults file.

nano /etc/apache2/sites-available/default

Make it look like this:

Code:
    NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
     	ServerName sitea.com
     	ServerAlias www.sitea.com
     	Document Root /var/www/sitea
     	CustomLog /var/www/logs/sitea.log combined
     	ErrorLog /var/www/logs/sitea.log
     </VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
     	ServerName siteb.com
     	ServerAlias www.siteb.com
     	Document Root /var/www/siteb
     	CustomLog /var/www/logs/siteb.log combined
     	ErrorLog /var/www/logs/siteb.log
     	<Files “index.html”>
     		Order Deny, Allow
     		Deny from all
     		Allow from <IP>
     	</Files>
     </VirtualHost>
    Restart apache2
    /etc/initd/apache2 restart

NOTE: Now you should have configured your DNS to have A records for both domain to point on a single IP.
    Now try browsing the website using the names.

Web browser: sitea.com

Web browser: siteb.com